Diatoms (Brown Algae) help

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my 55 gal tanks is being plagued with diatoms and I'm looking for advise on how to keep this stuff form coming back. The tank parameters are ph 7.5 ammonia 0ppm, nitiates 0ppm, nitrates are 2ppm. Gh is 11. I do weekly water changes of 15% with a monthly 40% change using my python siphon setup. I make sure the gravel is vacuumed, ornaments are taken out and cleaned as well as scrubbing the glass. I should mention I fill up a large plastic container a few days before my water change to treat the new water and let it gas off. I then use a power head and hose to transfer the water to the tank. My temp run 77 degrees and I'm using a fluval full spectrum light with a timer of 9 hours on since there are plants in the tank. For the first 2 days the tank looks pristine then overnight the growth just explodes. The tank is well established at a year and a half. What could be causing this explosive growth and how can I kill it lol

I forgot to mention the filter is a fluval xl6 canister filter at 960 gph using bio media, filter floss, sponges and carbon filters

Attachments

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try reducing the amount of time your light is on each day.

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, how long can I run it and still keep the frogbit and Anubis plants healthy?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try cutting back to 6 hours/day for a few weeks. You may also want to put 3 or 4 Nerite snails in your tank.

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll try the lights that short thank you. I've done the snails, had 15 in there but unfortunately my convict cichlid found a taste for them

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fishdad85 said:
I'll try the lights that short thank you. I've done the snails, had 15 in there but unfortunately my convict cichlid found a taste for them
Yep, forget about the snails!

Another question. . . Are you using any fertilizer?

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From my experience that does not look like diatoms.

Diatoms are usually more of a brown film/slime coating that can easily be rubbed off with fingers

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Johnb114 said:
Diatoms are usually more of a brown film/slime coating that can easily be rubbed off with fingers
What could it be? It is very easy to wipe off

Dunk2 said:
Another question. . . Are you using any fertilizer?
I use API co2 booster since I don't inject and I use seachem flourish once a week

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe it’s just the picture but it looks dark red and slightly hairy/brush like. Every tank I have set up has had bad diatoms at the start and was always brown.

Any diatoms I have seen in person were never brush like.

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Johnb114 said:
Maybe it’s just the picture but it looks dark red and slightly hairy/brush like. Every tank I have set up has had bad diatoms at the start and was always brown.

Its probably the picture, the full spectrum light messes with my camera. The tank is over a year established and this process has been ongoing a while

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Johnb114 said:

I now see what your seeing in the picture. But I don‘t know if it’s just the picture.

OP. . , Better picture?

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not trying to be a pain but are you able to take a picture of it under water without the lens correcting the lighting? Just looks like a wet rock in the two photos

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Johnb114 said:
Not trying to be a pain but are you able to take a picture of it under water without the lens correcting the lighting? Just looks like a wet rock in the two photos
Lol I'll try my best to get you a good underwater photo

Johnb114 said:
Under the lights it has a red hue but out of the tank lights it's a darker brown looking. There is some green alge trying to form as well. The other picture is it wiped off with a paper towel

Attachments

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay. Still don’t think it’s diatoms. Unless there was a change in your tap water like more silicates present.

1. It looks brush/hairy
2. Fairly uncommon to get diatoms in an establish tank.

Can you remember when you first saw this algae and what you may have started doing differently or added to the tank? Like fish, plants, rocks ect?

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I first noticed it really bad when I added the full spectrum light about a month ago. My water is public that's why I add it to a bin then treat it and let it gas off a day or two before it goes into the tank

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do what others said and shorten your photo period but it’s not really solving your problem since the tank is establish. Are you able to adjust the colour of the light or intensity?

Do you have any floating plants? Salvini,duckweed,hornwort? There may not be enough competition for the algae in your tank. Nearly all fast growing plants will reduce the effects of algae. Unless it truly is an over abundance of diatoms.

OP
Fishdad85

Fishdad85

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Johnb114 said:
You could do what others said and shorten your photo period but it’s not really solving your problem since the tank is establish. Are you able to adjust the colour of the light or intensity?

Do you have any floating plants? Salvini,duckweed,hornwort? There may not be enough competition for the algae in your tank. Nearly all fast growing plants will reduce the effects of algae. Unless it truly is an over abundance of diatoms.
The tank has java moss, java ferns, Amazon swords, frogbit , and water lettuce but the floaters can't seem to stay a good coverage because the convict cichlid loves to eat them

I believe I can adjust the intensity of the light as well. I really appreciate the help

New Threads