Diatoms??? Bga???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by aquadude91, Apr 19, 2017.

1. aquadude91

aquadude91Valued MemberMember

Here's some photos of my 12 week old tank, wondering what kind of algae this is... The first photo shows fuzz all over my water Sprite floating roots... don't know if this is algae or not... the rest is self explanatory.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Does it come off easily if you rub it or shake the plants around?

It's not blue green algae.

3. OP
    OP
    aquadude91

I mean it wipes off, sort of... can't explain it.... it will stay on with shaking of the plants but can be wiped off, sort of... anyways, you'll see the roots covered as well.. any idea ???

4. TexasDomer

Diatoms? They come off easily. A lot of the other algaes do not. I would improve your water circulation as well - it looks to me like those are dead spots.

5. OP
    OP
    aquadude91

There are 0 dead spots in this tank. I have 2 filters and a power head in a 10g! Also in the middle picture there is some BGA... you can see the blue spot.

6. TexasDomer

Ah okay, I see it now. I missed it before. Are you sure there aren't any dead spots around the plant in the second pic? BGA is common in dead spots, and the plant could be blocking some of the flow.

7. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

I'm subscribing to get advice for myself as well.

But there is one thing I can say: to prevent algae, you need to have a good balance of nitrates, light and CO2. If you have too much of something you might get algae. You might want to try lowering the light, changing more water, or adding slow growing plants.

8. OP
    OP
    aquadude91

Florian,

My nitrates are a consistent 10-20PPM.... Lighting is well-balanced about 5-8 Hours per day, and I do a 25-35% water change every 3-4 days.... I'm not sure what is going on, but it is getting out of control.

There are 0 dead spots... BGA is getting worse by the day... I just don't know what to do..

9. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I had it in my tank really, really bad! I had to do a blackout in my tank. I actually did a modified blackout since it was only on the bottom of my tank. I still fed my fish, but kept the tank lights off. Let me find a picture....

Found it! I used envelopes to block the sunlight from reaching the bottom. The whole bottom was covered in BGA! It was horrible!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice