Question Diatoms Algae

Sambit

Reaction score
Hello,

I m having a problem with diatoms algae in my 1 month old planted tank. I tried to removed them with brush but they just regenerate and sometimes doing that i harm my plants(Some are on my plants mostly on grass). Its a 7.5 G tank with a 10W light. I only turn on the light for 6hr a day. I m using dry fertilizers (Micro + Macro) in alternate day. So my question is how to clear all the diatoms? And if i don't clear them, is it harmful for my plants or my betta?

Thx

DanInJakarta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Diatoms use silica and phosphates. Almost every new tank gets them. Wait them out. Fertilizer contains nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous.

As far as I know, they are not harmful. They will disappear when they don't have any more food.

Keep your filters clean and unclogged. Just clean them off the plants, too.

Kameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Diatoms do happen in just about every tank. Keep maintenance up and do 50% water changes weekly to speed up the process. If you have them it’s a good sign your tank is cycling/cycled properly. Best way to actually prevent this is when you first go to set your tank up load it up with plants. The more plants the less diatoms you will have because the plants will take the nutrients needed therefore leaving diatoms less to feed on and die off

DanInJakarta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Diatoms do happen in just about every tank. Keep maintenance up and do 50% water changes weekly to speed up the process. If you have them it’s a good sign your tank is cycling/cycled properly. Best way to actually prevent this is when you first go to set your tank up load it up with plants. The more plants the less diatoms you will have because the plants will take the nutrients needed therefore leaving diatoms less to feed on and die off
Plants really help. They use the phosphates in the tank, the diatom's food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom