Diatom filters

1. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. These are the two Diatom Filters I use made by Vortex. I use them once a month on both tanks. Love 'em!

Too, I mentioned a while back that my brother had made me a treasure chest by hand and thought I'd share a photo of it. It houses all of my aquarium treasures :)
    Ken

Attached Files:

2. Regal Well Known Member Member

I use the diatom powder in my HOT Magnum once in a while. Makes the fish look like they are floating in air.

Your chest is beautiful Ken!

You're a little picture happy aren’t you? :;laughing

I'm glad you are enjoying your new Christmas toy!

3. alicem Member Member

Your treasure chest is beautiful. So nice to have something hand crafted by a family member.
    I'm sure you'll cherish it forever.
    :animal0028:
    I have a diatom filter also. I use it on occassion. It's really for if/when green water gets a handle hold on one of my tanks.
    Fortunately it has been tucked away in it's box lately.
    A diatom filter sure can be a real life saver. ;)
    alicem

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

LOL Well I figured while I had the camera out.... :)

Thanks Sue. The chest was a wonderful Christmas present he gave me a few years ago.

I have a HOT and I do use the micron cartridge from time to time but I haven't used the diatom powder with it. I highly recommend both filters.
    Ken

Hello Alicem. Using diatom powder truly is amazing. I never have to worry about an algae bloom. I've used quiet a few of them over the years but I used them a "lot". I've eased up a bit as you have and use it only when I think it's necessary. Once a month makes me feel good :)
    Ken

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, I love the chest! Dang, you're organized and your brother is talented!
    Someone gave me a diatom filter. Maybe I should learn how to use it.

Keep the pics coming. We love them. :)

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Lucy. If you ever need help with your diatom let me know!
    Ken

7. alicem Member Member

It will polish your water, that's for sure. The fish do seem to be floating in air.
    Makes a nice clear apprearance, especially before company comes. ;)

I've read some folks have used diatom filters for ICH. Never tried it myself, but thought that was interesting info.
    :animal0028:
    alicem

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Alicem I've read that these filters can filter out some parasites and even some ammonia to a very small degree. Luckily I haven't had to use it for these purposes though. :)
    KEn

9. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I use the HOT Magnum too.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ken perhaps you could do a step by step set up of the filters. I have one I've never used but I'm not sure I have all the parts and am not sure how to use it .
    Carol

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks ken, that would be great!

Excellent idea! With pics now that he has a new digi. ;)

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Exactly what I was suggesting ;)
    Carol

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Nice chest ken! i just have a cardboard box in my closet :giggle: you're so organized! The filters look funny :giggle: how do they work? what do they do? LOL im such a noob :giggle:

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Tony. :)
    I will be glad to show you how the Diatom Filters work. I'm going to try scanning some sections of the manual and see if the print comes through large enough to read so bare with me :) (didn't work)
    I'm going to use my Diatoms this weekend with my water change so I'll get more photos of the process as well.

Here are a few quotes from the Vortex Diatom manual:
    "The "Diatom" is a high speed auxiliary filter designed to filter aquarium water to an extremely pure state. The Diatom Filter is extremely fast and will filter out particles as small as one micron (one millionth of a meter). It, therefore, is a tremendous aid in the treatment and prevention of aquarium diseases caused from microorganisms such as "ICK, velvet, tail and fin rot, fungus, flukes, fish lice, etc. Since almost all aquarium disease parasites are larger than one micron, they are easily entrapped by the filter powders and thus eliminated from the aquarium.

IT MUST BE UNDERSTOOD that while the Diatom is an effective treatment and cure for parasite diseases such as Ichtheoptrisis, proven under controlled experiments by constant filtration of the aquarium through the life cycle of the parasite, it must also be understood that many diseases are caused from parasites that live and reproduce on or in the fish itself and does not become "free swimming," and, therefore, do not allow themselves to be filtered out. These types of diseases may best be treated by removing the fish from the aquarium, treating with the proper medication, and then returning it to the aquarium. This usually causes the parasites to drop from the fish or otherwise seek a better host on which to feed. Once they are loose in the water they may be quickly entrapped by the filter. Usually two or three treatments of this type and your aquarium is free of disease. When using the Diatom as a tretment on "sick" tanks it is advisable to back flush with hot water before moving to another tank.

Most diseases "show up" or strike hardest on new fish that are introduced into an aquarium before the fish has a chance to adapt itself to the change in the water. Often the disease is brought in with new fish. Sometimes a rapid change in temperature or a change in the chemistry of the water may weaken the fish and they become easy prey to protozoa parasites. Remember, where there are no protozoa parasites, there can be no protoaoz parasite diseases! Run your Diatom a few hours each day for several days after any one of these conditions have occured, and you will eliminate these outbreaks of fish killing parasite diseases."

Well, I think that pretty much explains what the filter does. My opinion: I don't recommend using this filter as a treatment for disease but for a preventative. I can honestly say that my fish have been disease free for at least the past 8 years. This filter does not eliminate the need for water changes and regular tank maintenance. Too, it's the only filter I know of besides the Magnum HOT (with diatom powder) that will remove algae from the water and leave your tank crystal clear in a matter of hours. However, a bacterial bloom (from my experience) still has to run it's course and the Diatom does not remove it.

If anyone would like a copy of the manual I'll be glad to scan it and send it to you via email as a zip file. That way I wouldn't have to resize the photos and would probably be ledgible. If not, I can send you a copy of the manual regular mail if you'd like.

I just did a practice email and sent the scanned page to myself and it worked well and is very easy to read :)

Ken

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for that ken! wow, i should try and find one... it kinda looks like one of those fancy coffee machines LOL

I've seen pics of your tank and its always clean and so perfect, i cant imagine what it must look like once you've used it.

Pics please!

:;hi1

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Tony and anytime :) Very kind words. I appreciate it!
    Ken

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:;th

18. TomG Initiate Member

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks TomG. lol never entered my mind to check there!
    Ken

20. David C Well Known Member Member

I bet the clear tank would make my photos come out so much easier. Even after using a finishing pad in my filter, there always seems to be a couple particles floating around ruining my shots.... Glad you guys brought this up.

Great Info...

Dave