Diatom filter or Canister?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by rileyrk190, Apr 5, 2010.

1. rileyrk190

rileyrk190 Well Known Member Member

I have been saving up for a new filter for my 55g fish tank for a while now, and i am not sure which way to go, so i thought i would ask for some help. My tanks water is always slightly cloudy. You can tell the water is clean, but there is just something that makes it look dingy. I also have a huge diatom problem which may stem from my tap water. It's not well water, but i do believe its on the harder end of the spectrum. The cause of them is probably caused by a mixture of over-feeding and water with a lot of minerals in it. So my question is do you think i should get a canister filter or a diatom filter? I currently just have a HOB filter. I am leaning towards a canister, but would like anyone's input! Also if you could recommend a brand please! Thanks in advance.

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Didn't know there was such a thing as a "diatom" filter. huh.

Anyway, I have a Cascade 1000 on my 55gal and so far I love it! I don't have the spray bar set up yet (the people I bought the filter from gave me a wrong piece of pipe, so I can't put the spray bar together until I get the correct piece of pipe), but I have the output just pointed down into the tank and EVERYONE in the tank loves playing in the current (kuhlis, platies, cory, heck even my grumpy upside down catfish was playing in the current the other day). It's doing a pretty good job with filtering the water too.

3. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Ihave running Marineland HOT magnum Filter (canister) that has been running for 24 years with only basic maintenance!!! Need I say more?

I believe if you get a diatom filter it is more for water polishing and clog faster for regular filtering, and not have nearly the media needed for a good bacteria culture for oyur tank.

4. OP
    OP
    rileyrk190

rileyrk190 Well Known Member Member

Ok thanks! I should have clarified, i know the diatom filter wont replace my existing one, just supplement it.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

For water polishing you won't find anything better than a diatom filter. They filter your tank down to the micron. I have the Vortex D1 and the Vortex XL. I use them both on my 265g tank at least twice a month. I also use them with the diatom powder. They will remove algae blooms but not bacterial blooms.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/205477/product.web

I see that you are aware these are not filters that you use around the clock. A regular canister filter will not do the same job as the diatom filters. However, I also have the Magnum Hot canister filter and they do a fine job as an around the clock filter and even a better job when you add the micron cartridge. The micron cartridge will clog after about 72 hours and the cartridge needs to be rinsed off or soaked in bleach solution. Diatom powder can be used with the Magnum HOT but I haven't tried it. I've read that they clog pretty quickly when using the powder too. Still not as good as the Diatom filter.

The diatom filters also removes parasites from the water. I get my diatom powder from Lowe's garden shop/pool supplies. They have 24lb boxes for around $14.00. Much cheaper than you'll find in any fish store.

After having used the diatom filters for many years, and having multiple tanks, I'd hate to be without one.

Ken

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I know about diatom filters and what they do. I assume they use diamataceous earth as a media. That's what many pool filters use.

Try looking at your local pool store for this stuff too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice