Diatom Filter Magnetic Drive Pump Retrofit

dcutl002

If anyone is old enough to remember DIATOM FILTERS, then you know that these filters can help remove ICH and other protozoans, vacuum the substrate (if you have the attachment), and deliver crystal clear water. The only problem is that the shaft seals wear out and then the filter leaks: there is also no way to buy parts anymore. Recently, I purchased some Marble Mollies that looked extremely healthy and…I did not quarantine them. I know, I know: I should have. So I set up my Diatom Filter only to discover that it leaked bad. So, I cranked my Temp up to 86 and started brainstorming on how to improve this filter. This is what I come up with.

7AAF6782-7DAF-4938-8D2D-03B8792599BC.jpeg
I removed the Impeller and motor from on top of the filter housing by turning the impeller the same way the fan turns. I then put silicone in the vacant hole where the motor was and put a blank on top.

7ECE2A05-521F-4F60-874D-215BB86DCD32.jpeg
Next, I installed a pond pump and found some PVC fittings to work with my hoses. I put the pump on the OUT side so it would create a vacuum drawing water through the Diatom Filter and then push the water into the tank. It works great! The only problem is that I bought a really strong pump, so I had to use a nylon zip tie to secure an old sock to diffuse the water going back in the tank.

4F5DBDED-7399-4F3C-86DC-6D9FEE6C5F96.jpeg

2261D7F8-4482-4D46-9F9C-288DD4A77BA2.jpeg
So, if you have one of these filters, do not throw it away! It can be retro-fitted with a magnetic drive pump.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
  • Question
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Sheldon13