Diatom/algae Eater For 7 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CheshireKat, Jul 31, 2019.

1. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    After my nerite snails ran away a couple months ago, I've been having a lot of diatom/"brown algae" on the glass (I don't know if that's a coincidence or what). I've been meaning to adjust my lighting for quite some time but never got around to it since I'm not really bothered by the diatoms...but they're starting to get out of hand, to the point that weekly wipes don't last long at all and just seem to make it worse. I just adjusted the light; hopefully a dimmer setting and shorter time period will make a difference. I've been wanting to add other fish with my male black orchid betta for some time, but am limited by space and options since I don't really have a local fish store, just chain stores, plus I'm leery about his reaction. In particular, I want otos and kuhli loaches (not together), but only the former are at PetSmart.

So I was wondering, while I try to figure out what's causing the issue (this and the quarantine tub, which only is lit by a desktop LED lamp aimed at the QT and the divided 10 gallon but is on all day, have diatoms, but not my other tanks), if there are any fish that will eat the diatoms?
    My parameters probably will make this tricky:
    • 7 gallon
    • currently at 82 degrees
    • running for 5-6 months
    • weekly water changes, about 50%
    • 7.8 pH, 300ppm GH
    • natural non-clumping, unscented clay cat litter (it's very light and smooth-edged) mixed with some smooth pebbles
    • DIY box filter, though I'm thinking of getting a HOB or maybe just an actual box or sponge filter
    • 1 male black orchid betta
    • a few bladder snails
    • seed shrimp
    • submerged pothos, bacopa caroliana, crypt wendtii red, newly-planted aquarium dwarf lily, one anubias of some sort (forget which mother plant I took it off of), java moss; I hope to get more plants soon
    • spiderwood

Just to be clear: I'm not looking for fish that will do my work/maintenance "for me," I just thought it'd be nice if there were any that matched my parameters that'd enjoy eating the diatoms up off the glass while I have the diatoms. I really want fish that eat vegetables, too...maybe I'm just using this as an excuse to get more fish :emoji_sweat_smile:
    But, like I said, I don't know if anything will work in this setup--especially since I don't know how the betta will react. Maybe the fish could live in there temporarily, then move to the 25 gallon? However, I already have 3 adult platies, lots of platy fry/juveniles of various ages, and some molly fry/juveniles in there. It's very overfiltered with an AquaClear 110, if that makes any difference.

I forgot about quarantine though. But the time they're done with it, I might not have any diatoms if the lighting is indeed the issue... therefore, I'll take suggestions for other tankmates as well.

Images: I just cleaned the glass last week and that's what's there now, worse than before I cleaned it. There's also some green algae on the filter.

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,154
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    For a 7 gallon tank?

I'd replace the nerite snails. And it's no coincidence that them leaving caused an explosion. They are the best diatom eaters.

3. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They keep escaping during cleanings, the only time I leave the lid off, else I would. That'd be my preference too.

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,154
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    How long are you leaving the lid off? Aren't you near the tank to prevent them from escaping? Or no?

5. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +756
    I am mildly curious how fast these snails are. Is there a way to prevent them from making a mad dash out the top? I can picture them rubbing their tentacles together waiting patiently and deviantly for their scheduled water change day

6. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    haha, no, I don't think they're deviously lying in wait for their chance of freedom. But ya never know...:emoji_thinking:
    I had two snails who disappeared without a trace. They'd already escaped once but I'd found them and put them back in.
    I just got a new one a couple weeks ago and last week noticed it was missing. Haven't seen it since I cleaned the tank and did some rearranging. I don't think they like when things get stirred up, and in a small tank, there's not really a lot of options for hiding. I noticed that with my previous ones, they'd go up to the top of the water until everything settled down again.

Since I have to lug the water bucket to the bathroom to empty and back, which does take a couple minutes at least to deal with, the lid is off and I'm not around for several minutes. There's only about 9 inches from substrate to top, so it's not like they have a huge trek to make. It's also rimless.
    I'm usually focusing on vacuuming and stuff and not watching snails the whole time. My mind is on what I'm doing and what I'm doing next, not babysitting the snails. It'd be nice if my betta would be a guard fish for me or at least say something, but he's kept mum on the topic and is more concerned with what I'm doing to his house, following the siphon around as if to make sure I do the job properly.
    Sometimes I also drain/clean this tank, then do another small tank, then fill them both up.

I've never actually seen them escaping. I just assume they have since they disappear and there's no shell indicating they died. Maybe they were abducted by aliens, I don't know. It's only this tank I have this issue with.