Diamond Tetras “Fighting”

Bettayonce

Hello!

I bought diamond tetras and have them for about a month now, they used to be in a 20 gallon, but I transfered them in a 25 gallon. Today, I noticed that the biggest one has been chasing and fending off those who are near him. This worries me because I read that they are peaceful shoaling fish and didn’t need to establish a hierarchy. Is this normal or should I need to make some changes?

Thank you.

MomeWrath

Well Known
How many do you have? I have 11 in a 75 gallon tank (along with som other larger fish) and they chase and annoy each other sometimes, but nothing I would call actual aggression. They get sort of big for a tetra though, so I wonder if yours are feeling crowded in a 25.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Not uncommon for the dominant male of big tetra species to claim a territory & fend off all comers.
A bigger tank & a larger school can dilute the annoying behavior.

OP
Bettayonce

Bettayonce

I
MomeWrath said:
How many do you have? I have 11 in a 75 gallon tank (along with som other larger fish) and they chase and annoy each other sometimes, but nothing I would call actual aggression. They get sort of big for a tetra though, so I wonder if yours are feeling crowded in a 25.
I have 7 in a 25 gallon tank. I’ve done my research with this fish and the biggest minimum tank size I read was 15 gallons for a school. I observed that they have been hovering over the spirulina tablet I put in there and it seems like the biggest one doesn’t want to share. I confirmed this when I moved the spirulina tablet in another area and they all moved there as well doing the same behaviour.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Bettayonce said:
I
I have 7 in a 25 gallon tank. I’ve done my research with this fish and the biggest minimum tank size I read was 15 gallons for a school. I observed that they have been hovering over the spirulina tablet I put in there and it seems like the biggest one doesn’t want to share. I confirmed this when I moved the spirulina tablet in another area and they all moved there as well doing the same behaviour.
Well when you involve food almost any fish will fight for his share. I have a couple of males that will harass each other and the others more than the rest. If they are mostly fighting when food is present and not doing any damage I wouldn't stress over it too much. I think "peaceful" is a relative term in fish world ;) Tetras are related to pirhana and I swear these guys turn pirhana when food is involed.

OP
Bettayonce

Bettayonce

MomeWrath said:
Well when you involve food almost any fish will fight for his share. I have a couple of males that will harass each other and the others more than the rest. If they are mostly fighting when food is present and not doing any damage I wouldn't stress over it too much. I think "peaceful" is a relative term in fish world ;) Tetras are related to pirhana and I swear these guys turn pirhana when food is involed.
I guess that was the case. Once i removed the spirulina, things went back to normal.

OP
Bettayonce

Bettayonce

A201 said:
Not uncommon for the dominant male of big tetra species to claim a territory & fend off all comers.
A bigger tank & a larger school can dilute the annoying behavior.
It’s all fine now. I removed the spirulina tablet and things went back to normal. Thank you.

New Threads