Diamond Tetras And Nipping Find

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kymmy1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. k

kymmy1 New Member Member

Hey there,

I only have room for 5 Diamond tetras that I want to put in my tank but I'm afraid that these tetras might nip at the fins of my Threadfin rainbows.

Who has owned diamonds and did they do much nipping or not? I'm hoping because my threadfins are in a larger school they won't be nipped at?

I heard they aren't as bad as other tetras but wanted people's opinions from those that have had them.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What is the tank size?

I haven't owned diamond tetras but generally, schooling fish do tend to nip in smaller numbers. If you only have room for 5 tetras because the tank size is limited, I would avoid them altogether.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have diamond tetras in a 40 gallon breeder and they don't nip. That being said they are also in a group of eight and have tons of room to swim around, and lots of hiding places. The male diamond tetras did establish a small pecking order when first put in, but have been fine with each other ever since. I agree with e1337 that it can very much depend on other things such tank size, group size, tank mates, and amount of hiding places.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

This doesn't exactly answer your question as I've never kept diamond tetras before, but it reminded me of a thread I read recently on another forum that I was able to find again. Rather than provide a link as it's one of many responses in the thread, let me just state that this is not my original writing, but here was the response given when someone asked about silvertip tetras being nippy (I think this may also apply at least in part to your question):

"Environment plays a major role in fish aggression. Tank size has a lot to do with this, as well as how the tank is aquascaped, water parameters, and other fish species included. With shoaling fish, there is also the aspect of how many of the species needs to be present, and this can vary with the species.

Taking the last aspect first, shoaling fish need a group for several reasons, one of which is interaction. The species may have specific social behaviours, a pecking order, dominant/submissive roles, etc. Recent studies have proven beyond doubt that when shoaling fish are maintained in too small a group (one study used five as the absolute minimum) aggression is almost certain to occur. Normally-aggressive species heighten their aggressive tendencies, while normally peaceful species can become nippy and more like bullies not only to their own but other species as well. Think of this as the fish's means of responding to what it finds intolerable; it simply "lashes out" out of frustration. Sometimes it may respond the opposite--by withdrawing so much that it simply wastes away.

To the environment issue. The same increased aggressive behaviours were observed when fish were kept in too small a space. Bare tanks also bring out aggression. Inappropriate water parameters (temperature, pH and hardness) can also affect aggression. And having the wrong fish as tankmates--putting a fish like a Serpae Tetra with inherent nipping tendencies in a tank with angelfish is only asking for trouble because the slow sedate angelfish with its trailing fins is too much of a temptation.

Howard Goldstein authored an article in the December TFH entitled Community Fish Cautions. He lists several frequently-seen and so-called "community fish" that can create havoc. But he makes a very valid point first up: "It's Not the Fish; It's the Tank. These fish are not difficult to keep. Their required conditions are not hard to create and maintain, but they must be met."

To return to your Silvertip Tetra. A group of 8 or more in a spacious tank at least 3 feet in length with lots of plants for cover but also space to swim lengthwise and with a slight current from the filter will likely be model citizens. Put the same fish in a 20g high and they may nip each other repeatedly. This is applicable to many species.

A last word on what one perceives in fish store tanks. This cannot always--in truth, rarely should--be taken as indicative of the fish's behaviour or compatibility. What appears on the surface to "work" in the store tank may in fact be so harmful to the fish that they are irreparably weakened. Over-crowding a species sometimes stresses the fish so much that they behave just the opposite. They are being forced into a situation that is not to their liking, and cannot respond normally. Place them in the proper environment at home, and the normal tendencies will return, sometimes. Sometimes the stress may be so great that the fish is permanently disabled, so to speak. And this works both ways; peaceful fish may become aggressive, whereas mildly-aggressive may be so docile they waste away."

5. OP
    OP
    k

kymmy1 New Member Member

I'll have an Aquael 100- so it's 215 litres minus rocks etc that I put in.

Looking at about 22 threadfins, 5 otos, 5 Khuli loaches, 2 German Rams, 1 Bolivian Ram plus the tetras???

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

don't mix Bolivians with Germans they arnt temp compatible and will fight. German require water temps of 78f-82f were as Bolivians require 72f-74f.

I Would suggest this

3 Pearl Gouramis
    4 GBR (1male/3 females)
    15 ThreadFins
    10 Diamond Tetras
    15 Kuhli Loaches
    1 Clown Pleco

Temp 80F

actually is this a 48" in lenght?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice