Diamond Tetra Fry Has Been Nipped

katorimom

This baby was a surprise who first appeared 15 days ago. It's about 1.25 inches long. It was born in my 66 gallon tank & appears to be the only survivor. It shares with 8 diamond tetra, a bristle nose, an angel fish and a Bolivian ram.
Ph 7.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5
Low tech planted with a weekly water change and gravel vacuum.

These tetras are lightening fast, but apparently not fast enough to escape the dominate male. I know the dominant one did this at feeding time. The rest of the time he couldn't be bothered with the baby.

I can't catch the baby in this tank, and I don't want to medicate the tank, so I'm hoping this might work. I just did a water change and gravel vac. After a couple of hours I dosed Seachem stress guard. Do you think several water changes and daily stress guard doses could fix him up?

Thanks for your time.
I forgot the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_153006.jpg
    IMG_20220630_153006.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 11

TClare

I think there is a good chance that water changes and stress guard will work. I also have recently had 2 baby diamond tetras survive in a tank with some quite large cichlids!

katorimom

Oh thank you so much for letting me know. Here's hoping for the best :)

SparkyJones

With small fish and fry, from my experience if you put the vacuum in the tank for 30 seconds, you won't be able to keep them away from it.

TClare

With small fish and fry, from my experience if you put the vacuum in the tank for 30 seconds, you won't be able to keep them away from it.
You have to put a mesh over the end.

katorimom

Yes, I am doing that too. This morning he looks about the same except for a single white thread that has appeared. Does this mean it's fungal?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
katorimom
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views