Diamond Tetra Died

Diaboli3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

I had one of my diamond tetras die today. The tank had 3 diamond tetras and 3 guppies.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrites were 0. Nitrates are between 5 and 20 (can't distinguish the colors too well).

The tetra seamed fine and was swimming normally and eating normally. The tetras have been in the tank for little over a week. They have bee eating NLS flakes and I've been trying to get them to eat the pellets as well. I feed them twice daily.

New to this hobby, but i just want to make sure i wasn't doing anything wrong and killed him. I do PWC weekly and condition the water with Prime. Should I use Stress Coat + instead?

Thanks for you input.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry you lost a fish today Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish and if so, for how long? Also, what size is your tank?

Diaboli3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. Yes, the tank was fishless cycled for about 5 weeks before before adding fish. The tank is a 20 gal Tall.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you. Yes, the tank was fishless cycled for about 5 weeks before before adding fish. The tank is a 20 gal Tall.
well the only thing I can figure from the info you gave might be over-feeding? I don't know how much you feed so I can't even say that for sure. I'm sorry I can't help more.

Diaboli3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is twice a day too much? I usually give a pinch of food once in the morning then in the evening, 12 hours apart. I do see them "grazing" occasionally throughout the day. Should I reduce the amount of food given? Thanks.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is twice a day too much? I usually give a pinch of food once in the morning then in the evening, 12 hours apart. I do see them "grazing" occasionally throughout the day. Should I reduce the amount of food given? Thanks.
I would try reducing your feedings to once per day and see if you see any improvement. Being that your ammonia is at 0 it's hard to say if you really are feeding too often or not but the only way to be sure is to try less food and check your results. Do the fish seem to finish all of the food in 2-3 minutes? I recommend only feeding as much as they will eat completely in 3 minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom