Diamond Tetra Died

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Diaboli3, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Diaboli3New MemberMember

Hi All,

I had one of my diamond tetras die today. The tank had 3 diamond tetras and 3 guppies.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrites were 0. Nitrates are between 5 and 20 (can't distinguish the colors too well).

The tetra seamed fine and was swimming normally and eating normally. The tetras have been in the tank for little over a week. They have bee eating NLS flakes and I've been trying to get them to eat the pellets as well. I feed them twice daily.

New to this hobby, but i just want to make sure i wasn't doing anything wrong and killed him. I do PWC weekly and condition the water with Prime. Should I use Stress Coat + instead?

Thanks for you input.

2. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I'm sorry you lost a fish today :( Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish and if so, for how long? Also, what size is your tank?

3. Diaboli3New MemberMember

Thank you. Yes, the tank was fishless cycled for about 5 weeks before before adding fish. The tank is a 20 gal Tall.

4. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

well the only thing I can figure from the info you gave might be over-feeding? I don't know how much you feed so I can't even say that for sure. I'm sorry I can't help more.

5. Diaboli3New MemberMember

Is twice a day too much? I usually give a pinch of food once in the morning then in the evening, 12 hours apart. I do see them "grazing" occasionally throughout the day. Should I reduce the amount of food given? Thanks.

6. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I would try reducing your feedings to once per day and see if you see any improvement. Being that your ammonia is at 0 it's hard to say if you really are feeding too often or not but the only way to be sure is to try less food and check your results. Do the fish seem to finish all of the food in 2-3 minutes? I recommend only feeding as much as they will eat completely in 3 minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice