Diamond carbon blend ammonia neutralizer?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Angels4, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Angels4

Angels4Valued MemberMember

I am going carbonless in my two tanks , I bought some rite-size bonded filter pad and biomedical noodles ... The guy Y petsmart said for me to buy the ammonia carbon blend to clear ammonia ,,, he said taking the carbon out I will have ammonia ? ???

2. Xander

XanderWell Known MemberMember

No. Carbon does not remove ammonia. The beneficial bacteria that has colonized your carbon will remove ammonia, however. So in a way, if you remove your carbon then yes, you may see some ammonia.

The best thing to do is put your new media in, keep the carbon in there with it for a couple weeks so that your bacteria can colonize the new stuff without putting your fish in danger, and then finally removing the carbon completely. 2-3 weeks is usually long enough.

3. OP
    OP
    Angels4

There isn't room for the new filter pad and the old one and the media bio noodles ,,,would the gravel have enough bacteria and maybe I can add the 7 day stability ?

So if carbon helps with clear water and removing odors , what will happen now without it ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  4. Tmosis

TmosisValued MemberMember

If you keep up your water changes there should be no actual troubles.

My carbon is basically inert as it has been in for months. My hob filters use Two filter cartridges so just rinse one every other week. The carbon is doing nothing at this point and I have no cloudiness or odor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  5. OP
    OP
    Angels4

I put in two of the non carbon filters yesterday and so far today both tanks are perfect ...0 ammonia 0 nitrites and ph 6.5. ..my live plants are really doing the job .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice