Diagnosis?

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I thought I might have parasite, based on a bloated female in my tank with stringy excrement

Now I'm not so sure....since dosing prazipro yesterday, a couple more have symptoms showing

Lucky, who had been treated for injuries sustained in a fight(was my belief at the time) is showing swelling in her face
8fbe721de33baead115105c9f35178b9.jpg

The bloated female, whom I will call serenity, is still bloated and showing no distress
1c9e947f5c2562ae0625995f321bb01c.jpg

And a blue has weird patching on her head(not fluffy, could almost be an injury if she tried to squeeze into a cave after loaches or something )
5857cec1bf35721b3da38e06b86b9272.jpg

Here's an overview of inhabitants
f02432b3a3a70fd73b3f7cb49ddda22b.jpg

Ammonia 0/ph8/nitrite 0/nitrate 10?
Temperature 78

It's a 38 bow front, two 150gph filters and 5000k strip lights on about 8hours. Everyone is eating well, only the blue is a little "off"- she is swimming left-right-left-right up and down the front right side of the tank (stress-dance, would be my best description)

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could the bloated bellies be because they're gravid or overfed?

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Overfed is possible. Perhaps the one is egg-bound?

They are pigs and eat everything, including any vegetables that I put in for the pleco, loaches

The last couple of days I have fed either veggies or food but not both.....tomorrow's meal will be peas

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am sitting here thinking- Lucky's facial swelling could be a relapse of her former infections. I had treated her for the injuries and resultant swelling, using Kanaplex but returned her to the tank upon recovery. Perhaps I returned her too quickly.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see a bacterial infection developing, but whether it's gram positive or negative, what meds to use - no idea.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, that was my concern

I have furon- 2 and paraguard. Only enough kanaplex for a qt treatment now- if the tank needed it I would have to get more

Though with the loaches, I am unsure if I can even treat the tank

Hoping someone with experience can guide me

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm also wondering if the bubbles from the substrate could be caused trouble- perhaps the pond soil was a bad pick for substrate? It may be organic but it's created air pockets since going in

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How heavily did you rinse the pond soil? It may be organic, but so are a lot of pollution sources.
The soil choice didn't show in the original question, but it could be putting other pollutants into the water column - ammonia and the nitrogen cycle are just the part we have the tools to read (if we buy them). There can be a lot more going on the test kits are blind to.
I am always suggesting people use stuff they get outside in their tanks, wood, rocks etc. But other than plants and live food, I have always stayed away from underwater 'supplies'. I have stayed away from substrates, from concerns about trapped pollution from us, phosphates, metals etc. Crushed gravel from a pool centre has always been a safer option to me, as a chemically inert and non aquatic source.
The blue one looks pretty advanced - they all do, sadly. I am not big on using antibiotics in tanks, and can't help with what med to use - I tend to go for cleanliness. When I have seen that facial swelling (Apistogramma get it too) my first move is always a deep cleaning of the substrate along with water changes. I take it as a sign the tank could be eutrophying. That does kind of fit with your worry about the pond substrate.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I gave it a good rinse, then did daily water changes for 5 days before adding the fish - that was in May

About July it started releasing bubbles

If there's a possibility that the substrate is a problem, I'm not opposed to tearing down the tank and taking the soil out

Here's the bag I used:
18eb5687ade5ec1c5266a316df66f4b6.jpg
40938e160a6056042aab605411e607bf.jpg

I also have a few rocks from the goldfish tank and some driftwood from the pet store with a cap of pool filter sand
fc1570cf58a6f7cc759cc56fa0f3d8a5.jpg

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
f4dc0bef484bd34db4d01ceabb7979eb.jpg
this is Blue Eyes. I'm a little confused- I have seen these red veins on her for as long as I have had her, but as I was searching for an answer to what kind of bacteria I might be dealing with, I came across something saying that it is not normal and a Betta showing veins like this requires treatment quickly for septecima is a painful bacterial infection

Does this mean that I have four potentially ill?

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had the bloated female and the blue with the facial (rash??) in quarantine with Kanaplex for a few days now...no improvement on either. The bloated female seems even more so. and her feces is still stringy. Before this, i treated the tank with Prazipro, which made no difference.

I'm trying to decide what to do now.

Still, no one is behaving like they are bothered, though the bloated female looks like her belly is full of air, and the blue has that white patch on her head. It's all external physical symptoms. there's now a white patch on the fin of another blue, and a third has a small lump

I found this article, which outlines columnaris....not sure if this is what I'm dealing with...if it is, I'm having a little trouble decyphering which medications to use in which order/combination :S

If I were to use some of these meds, I think I'd need to remove the Khulis to QT for the duration wouldn't I? I understand that scaleless fish can't tolerate salt...

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The bloating is reduced but now I see signs of dropsy, and her fin are clamped and she's floating at the top. At least she doesn't look fit to pop anymore...

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Serenity is looking much better now- bloating gone and active again. Also, her appetite is back

The blue is not showing as white on her head....it's fading too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom