Diagnosis of issue with goldfish

1. WilliamImpact Initiate Member

Hey there, about a week ago one of my goldfish developed what looked like a pimple. It healed up overnight and seemed fine except for my fish being lethargic.
    Today I noticed the same fish was a lot more active but behind one of the gills is swollen. The other side seems like it might br beginning to swell the same. Any diagnosis or treatment solutions helps! Please and thank you!

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a pic pls?

3. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What is the tank size, other fish, any new fish, how long has it been in the tank, parameters, temp, is the tank cycled. Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

4. WilliamImpact Initiate Member

My camera isn't good enough to get a picture unfortunately.

The best I can describe is one side of the body is a lot rounded than the other. It seems almost like a tumor.

The tank is a 38 gallon tank. There are six other fish. This is actually a huge upgrade in size from the 10 gallon I had been using up until two or three weeks ago. The temperature is uncontrolled but used to be about 72° consistently. With summer setting in it has jumped up to varying between 76° and 78°
    I'm not sure what you mean by parameters, but I do cycle the water. Every other week I replace 4 gallons of water. Rather than using dechlorinated tap water I use purified water because our local water doesn't get dechlorinated by regular dechlorinating agents.

5. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What other fish? Depending on the goldfish, I believe they need a 29g and another 20g for each other goldfish. Do you have a liquid test kit? By parameters I mean Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia. It may very well be a tumour, fish can get cancer just like any other animal. But if it's just one side and completely that side it makes me wonder. I'm sorry if I'm not much help, hopefully more experienced people can come on.:)

6. WilliamImpact Initiate Member

They are all goldfish. The only one I have been able to determine the breed is a fantail.

I got all but one of these fish from my step father about a year ago when he moved out of state and was unable to take the fish with him. At that time I had one goldfish in a 1g tank. He gave me his 10g so I used that until I could afford to upgrade to the 38 gallon I have now. I plan to continue upgrading tank size and not getting more fish.

As for the possible tumor, interestingly enough, it is already gone. The fish has returned to his normal personality, no longer cowering in one of the decorations.

7. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm... Strange, I'd keep an eye on him, but perhaps he just bumped something? Im glad your upgrading, that's good to hear! I hope he stays nice and healthy and lives a long life.:)

8. MinhMai Member Member

The different fancy breeds of goldfish have messed up internal organs from all the selective breeding over many centuries so it could have been an overextended stomach from eating too much. If he's swimming fine, then wouldn't worry much, since a swim bladder problem would have him swimming lopsided or upside down. Keep an eye out for poop, just in case he's constipated.