Diagnosis Help? Platy Clamped And Listing

GettinTanked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tried searching for an answer, but symptoms are so vague and mild.
I've had two female platies in quarantine for 2 weeks now, after picking them up from the LFS. I'm sure they're probably pregnant, but no fry yet.
Today I noticed: One of them has her anal, pelvic, and dorsal fins clamped. Her caudal fin is also not as splayed as usual. Pretty sure she's shimmying too. It's hard to tell because she doesn't stay in one place like in videos, but there's definitely more head shaking movement to her swim than the other platy's. Also, now and then she lists very slightly to one side. It's very subtle, not constant, and when she does it it's always to the same side. Still very active. Still interested in food. More or less keeping up with her fish friend. I don't think I would've noticed anything was even wrong if the other fish wasn't there for comparison. (This other fish seems fine: fins fully splayed, swimming straight, etc.)

Water is pretty much testing at what it has been this whole time:
pH: 8.2
Nitrates ~ 10 ppm
Nitrites ~ 0 ppm
Ammonia ~ 0
For testing hardness and alkalinity I only have the strips, so it's hard to say exactly, but it was about the result I always get:
Alkalinity ~ 300 ppm
Total Hardness ~ 300 ppm
Temp has been consistent at 76 F.

Last water change was a little over 15% on Tuesday, after which I added a handful of almond leaves to try to help soften the water a little. I went for livebearers thinking they'd be okay with my hard water conditions and high pH, but if I need to do something more for them I will!
I've done a lot of research, but I'm still pretty new to the hobby- all advice is welcome!

Other things that might be relevant:
* This fish seemed like the less pregnant of the two when I got them, but now she seems more pregnant than her buddy. Maybe bloated?
* They've both started having more translucent, stringier looking poop lately. I thought maybe this is because at first they were constantly pooping full brown logs and I decided to ease up on the feeding. (sorry for the imagery) Also noticed more redness to the poop, but their flake food is red so this seems normal. It doesn't seem like camallanus.
* There's an amazon sword in this tank that is looking very green and healthy (even new growth), except that the perimeters of some of the leaves are translucent and deteriorating. Maybe this speaks to something about the water I'm not aware of...
* I might have fed them some dead brine shrimp a couple of days ago before realizing so many had kicked and tossing the batch.

I haven't tried any treatments yet, but am open to it. Maybe I should buy a copper test kit? I read that can be more of an issue in acidic water conditions- but if my levels are high enough that could still be the problem in this case, right?
Thank you for your suggestions!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

GettinTanked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Updates:
* I've now caught BOTH fish flashing, but very rarely. Maybe a couple of times each all week. I'm gone most of of the day though.
* The platy I'm more concerned about spends a lot of time clamped and hovering at the top of the aquarium.
* Tuesday when I did my weekly water change parameters tested normal before and after. I added 2 tbsp of aquarium salt (it's a 10 gal) with the replacement water and turned the temp up to 80 over the course of a few hours. She did seem better after that for a couple of days.
* Saturday morning there were fry in the tank. Not sure who had them. She still looks bloated. They both look the same really. I've only counted 7 fry though, so not a huge brood.
* I can't remember the last time I saw her poop. The other one is pooping normally. For the past few days I've been giving her just a couple of pea bits each day, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Yesterday she seemed to be more lethargic than ever, so I figured I might as well bring the temp back down to a comfortable 78. Today she seems just as subdued.
Wondering if it's time add something like General Cure or Pimafix & Melafix together? I hate to do that not knowing for sure what it is. I wasn't planning on keeping the fry, but now I'm not sure what's best for them. If I give them away before I treat, they could transfer something to their new home. But could they survive treatment?
Is there another product someone can recommend?
Doing my next waterchange this afternoon, and I can run to the LFS first.
Thank you!

GettinTanked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SLeroux said:
I've had internal parasite issues with my Platy's as well. I use prazipro with some good results. Hope she makes it!
Good to know, thank you!
Are these symptoms pretty consistent with what you observed in your platy?
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

SLeroux

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GettinTanked said:
Good to know, thank you!
Are these symptoms pretty consistent with what you observed in your platy?
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
To be honest you are much more observant/knowledgeable of symptoms than I am. I noticed when she started loosing her spunk then sat at the top of the water, eventually wouldn't eat. I noticed white stringy long poop and then some of my other Platy's had the same poop. I was able to save the ones not as far along but unfortunately lost the first to get sick. Hope this helps.

GettinTanked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In the images below, "Platy 1" and "Platy 3" are both my potentially sick platy. Just thought I'd upload in case there's something I'm missing.
"Platy 2" is my other platy. Just wanted to upload pics of both and ask the community, looking at these two, which one do you think had fry on Friday night/Saturday morning? The ill platy has a smaller gravid spot, but looks super bloated (Platy 1/3). The other platy (Platy 2) slimmed down a bit recently, but has the larger gravid spot. I guess I'm ultimately trying to figure out if pregnancy is contributing to my platy's ill health.

Other updates:
Dosed with pimafix and melafix yesterday after a water change, and again today. Also used prime yesterday. Removed the carbon insert from my HOB filter because of the "medication," so I'm running it with a sponge prefilter and a sponge inside.
She rests on the floor periodically, but swims around pretty actively if I approach. She's swimming with a heavy shimmy though. When she's on the floor her mouth opens and closes sometimes. I've seen little to no poop from her, except maybe some mucusy-looking threads. Fins are pretty much clamped at all times.

I've ordered a Prazipro, per the suggestion above. If she's not improved by the time it gets here (2 days or so), maybe I'll medicate with that.
Also, anyone's fish ever get sick from after giving them Indian almond leaves?

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom