Diagnosis help - dropsy vs constipation

betobeto

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am running into some trouble diagnosing my betta, not sure if he has dropsy or is constipated. Here is some important info about my fish and tank. Detailed explanation is at the end of the post. Hoping to get some feedback on what I should do with my betta...

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gal
How long has the tank been running? a year and a few months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80-82
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every two weeks
How much of the water do you change? 1-2 gals
What do you use to treat your water? Water conditioner (although i use mineral water)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH: 8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 4-5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? top fin freeze dried bloodworms (every two-three weeks), aqueon betta food pellets every day
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? freeze dried worms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? lethargy, not eating (since two days ago), swollen belly, pics attached
Have you started any treatment for the illness? added 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to the tank for now, cleaning and adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt again tomorrow (don't want to add too much salt)
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? yes, slowed down, rests more, discolored

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Have had my betta for a year. About a week ago I noticed a small bump on his side. Initially thought it was a cyst and did no changes to the regular maintenance I do. Then his side got more swollen towards his stomach and the other side. He is having trouble swimming now and is not eating since two days ago. I do not have any fish medicine other than bettafix and I believe that won't help with his situation. I am hoping with the pictures attached I can find out whether this is dropsy or just constipation. The picture where he is swimming was a couple days before the ones where he is laying down on the gravel. Also not sure if I should try a salt bath for the swelling since it might cause more stress, try feeding him the little piece of a pea or in what order. I am thinking if he does have dropsy, it must be from poor nutrition since I do not soak the pellets long enough before he eats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Attachments

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good sharp close up of the fish!. I see no symptoms of dropsy. you would see pinconing scales, often with a buble under each scale. There is no cure for dropsy. He did not get dropsey from unsoaked food. He might eventually develope bloat from that.

Bettas are sensitive to sal, it is best not to use it. Bettas are sensitive to melefix and the diluted version betta fix, is still bad. It is not medicine it is a tonic like vix vapor rub, it can not do the helpfull thing things that it claims, but it can coat a betttas labrynth organ and prevent it from breathing.

I would do 2 50 % water changes this week, removing a lot of the salt and mellefix might help him all buy it self. I would make sure the temp is stable.

Is he eating? try to find live or frozen Daphnia, it is much more helpfull for bettas with constipation then peas, as bettas are carnivours and may not eat peas.

If you dont see him poop in a week or so, you can try an epsome salt dip. yes it is stressfull, Try tofind or order the daphnia first.

OP
B

betobeto

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
Good sharp close up of the fish!. I see no symptoms of dropsy. you would see pinconing scales, often with a buble under each scale. There is no cure for dropsy. He did not get dropsey from unsoaked food. He might eventually develope bloat from that.

Bettas are sensitive to sal, it is best not to use it. Bettas are sensitive to melefix and the diluted version betta fix, is still bad. It is not medicine it is a tonic like vix vapor rub, it can not do the helpfull thing things that it claims, but it can coat a betttas labrynth organ and prevent it from breathing.

I would do 2 50 % water changes this week, removing a lot of the salt and mellefix might help him all buy it self. I would make sure the temp is stable.

Is he eating? try to find live or frozen Daphnia, it is much more helpfull for bettas with constipation then peas, as bettas are carnivours and may not eat peas.

If you dont see him poop in a week or so, you can try an epsome salt dip. yes it is stressfull, Try tofind or order the daphnia first.
Thanks for your help! He has not eaten for three days now. I tried to feed him two days ago and he didn't eat the two times I tried so I left him alone to rest. I will try getting Daphnia and definitely doing the water changes. Will send an update on how it all goes. Thanks again!

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
According to fish veterinarian Dr. Jessie Sanders, you can rule out constipation.

snipperrr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my angel fish recently did the same thing except not the huge bloating. He just stayed in the corner of the tank and didn’t eat anything for like a week. I was sure he was gonna die but then one day he started eating aggressively again and now two days after that he is perfectly normal. I didn’t use medicine or anything I just made sure he had good water by changing 25% every third day. I know it’s not the same type of fish but hopefully that helps!

New Threads