Diagnosis for my dead danio-mycobacterium?

Kendle

My danio died today after I’ve been attempting to treat him for an unknown illness for weeks: he had a clear lesion on his side, his fins started to deteriorate and he began looking skinny despite eating well. I moved him to a quarantine tank and tried to treat with melafix then fin and body cure(multiple treatments) combined with aquarium salt. None of that seemed to help if anything he got worse. Yesterday he was lying on the bottom of the tank, I did a 50% water change but today he was gone. Could this be mycobacterium/ mycobacteriosis or something else? A few months ago I had another danio die after it started wasting away and there’s a betta also in the quarantine tank that has a seemingly bent spine.

SM1199

It is absolutely possible, though impossible to diagnose 100% without some high tech lab tools. Your symptoms certainly line up. Unfortunately there is no cure, so in case this guessed diagnosis is correct, you should make certain not to contaminate any other fish with the fish that have been exposed.

Fish can live for quite a while with this disease and management is key to their general health. Any kind of stress that dampens their immune system will allow the disease to take a firmer hold - such as moving them around to different tanks, attempting treatments especially when in combination, and of course, poor water quality.

Upvote 0

Kendle

Thank you, does that mean I shouldn’t put my hands in the water anymore? And is there any way to go about getting rid of it?

Upvote 0

Kendle

It is absolutely possible, though impossible to diagnose 100% without some high tech lab tools. Your symptoms certainly line up. Unfortunately there is no cure, so in case this guessed diagnosis is correct, you should make certain not to contaminate any other fish with the fish that have been exposed.

Fish can live for quite a while with this disease and management is key to their general health. Any kind of stress that dampens their immune system will allow the disease to take a firmer hold - such as moving them around to different tanks, attempting treatments especially when in combination, and of course, poor water quality.

Thank you, does that mean I shouldn’t put my hands in the water anymore? And is there any way to go about getting rid of it?

Upvote 0

SM1199

There isn't any cure. If you want it gone from your tanks for good, you have to be diligent about making sure these fish never come into contact with any of your other stock, and let them live out their lives - eventually, like all fish, they will die and you can take down the tank. Best thing to do is to decrease stress as much as possible and keep the water as clean as possible. UV sterilizers on tanks will kill off a certain amount of the mycobacteria to keep it from worsening but will never fully eradicate it. Diana Walstad has a great article on TB if you're interested in more thorough reading: Mycobacteriosis in Aquarium Fish

If you're worried, you can wear gloves when you do things with your tank water. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you had a cut on your hand. I had a fish for a long while that I strongly suspected had TB and I never had any issues. Not to say someone couldn't or that the risk isn't real, but... I don't know, maybe I'm just not overly cautious, and there's nothing wrong with a cautious approach.

Upvote 0

Kendle

There isn't any cure. If you want it gone from your tanks for good, you have to be diligent about making sure these fish never come into contact with any of your other stock, and let them live out their lives - eventually, like all fish, they will die and you can take down the tank. Best thing to do is to decrease stress as much as possible and keep the water as clean as possible. UV sterilizers on tanks will kill off a certain amount of the mycobacteria to keep it from worsening but will never fully eradicate it. Diana Walstad has a great article on TB if you're interested in more thorough reading: Mycobacteriosis in Aquarium Fish

If you're worried, you can wear gloves when you do things with your tank water. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you had a cut on your hand. I had a fish for a long while that I strongly suspected had TB and I never had any issues. Not to say someone couldn't or that the risk isn't real, but... I don't know, maybe I'm just not overly cautious, and there's nothing wrong with a cautious approach.

Alright I plan to set up another tank while I let the infected fish live out the rest of their lives in the old one. How can I prevent the same situation from happening with the new tank? Or is that impossible to avoid if a store sells me infected fish

Upvote 0

SM1199

Alright I plan to set up another tank while I let the infected fish live out the rest of their lives in the old one. How can I prevent the same situation from happening with the new tank? Or is that impossible to avoid if a store sells me infected fish
Quarantine is very important, as is only selecting very healthy-looking fish at the store. If the fish start showing any signs of disease in quarantine, don't add them to your new tank.

Upvote 0

Kendle

Quarantine is very important, as is only selecting very healthy-looking fish at the store. If the fish start showing any signs of disease in quarantine, don't add them to your new tank.
Is there any way to disinfect the filter, decorations etc? I’ve heard bleach or vinegar may work but not guaranteed. I’d hate to have to replace ALL of my equipment if I can’t successfully disinfect it...

Upvote 0

SM1199

Is there any way to disinfect the filter, decorations etc? I’ve heard bleach or vinegar may work but not guaranteed. I’d hate to have to replace ALL of my equipment if I can’t successfully disinfect it...
If you're moving it into another tank, yes, you can use bleach. Just make sure to rinse very well afterwards and use a little extra dechlorinator when you do eventually add it into a new setup. Also keep in mind if you do so for the filter, you will kill your beneficial bacteria and you'll have to cycle your tank again.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
SM1199
Replies
Views
Mich1000
  • Question