Diagnose + Recommendation Help

1. SmartStar Member Member

Hello Everyone!

It's always good to be back around here, always good info to learn. In my latest post I was concern about one of my molly been sick showing what it looks like "fungus". Well she is gone, but my biggest concern are the ones that stay behind, they are showing some signs that I can't compare to none of your pics, but for some explanation can be some kind of fungus, they last for a long time (months) but it looks like only affects my gold lyretail mollies, because the tank had others (platies) and they seem fine, not affected (two females lyretail are gone in the past 6 mo, the one sick is a female too) I know it sounds funny all the female thing, but the two female adults were bought with a male and he seems perfect, they deliver and now one of the offspring is the one showing some signs. Now for what I think is the good part, my husband agree to buy me a second tank and I want to know what you suggest, and the reason is because, as you advise tank is full of little ones, platies I think and they are between 2wks - 1month and I want to know if I should move the affect fish to the 10 gallon for meds or should I just med the whole tank, can the meds kill the frys, what med should I use, went to Walmart and find some tabs Jungle "Lifeguard All in One Treatment" tabs. and I have acces to a Petsmart also. Please anything that can help, regarding raising the tempeture I live in Puerto Rico, water tempeture is around 80 all the time and that is when outside is no a hot day but it can go up to 86 and I have monitor them and they seem ok, this last with the exception of them two no lost in the last 7mo.:), I am also doing weekly 50% water change. Again anything is deeply appreciate. Thanks as always!

Attached Files:

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time reading your post. It just runs together.

It looks like Columnaris to me - White cottony patches. A bacterial infection.

I was successful with Maracyn and Maracyn-Two with temperature at 75F.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. SmartStar Member Member

Hello,
    Christine and Ken, thanks for replying to my "long" concern. Christine I will try to explain brief. On Sept I bought 3 Goldlyretail Mollies, one male, 2 females, not one week later one of the females show what it look like "fungus" (like the one on the picture) I waited and did water changes but with time (almost 2 months)she got worse and die, shortly after, the second female start showing the same signs and this one lasted longer. Now after some time, one of her offspring look affected, after convincing my husband he agree to a quarantine tank and I need some recommendations, wetter I move the sick to the tank or treat the whole tank, but I do have some frys there and don't know if meds will kill them and also if they are prego will the meds do some bad to the frys.
    Ken I don't think is dropsy they don't get bloated and the raising of the scales (patches) concentrated from the gills to the face, color white, I can tell is not ick, they are definitely no salt grain looking, but they last for months, eat well and what is weird is that only the mollies have shown the signs. If anything again THANKS!!!!

5. SmartStar Member Member

Dry Skin??!!

Hello everyone, please someone that can try to understand, I been having issues with my gold lyretails mollies, they had what it look like "dry skin" I can't find any other way to explain the looks. I have post thread regarding the situation and had explain that its definitely not ick and doesn't look like columnaris b/c they last 1 month + and it always center around the top and gills to the front body area. This its been going on for the last couple of months on and off, the first one to show was by Sept. and it was the mother of this one, I had lost 3 in the past 8 months so you see how long they last, they eat fine and are active the only think is that I know when the time is coming b/c they show bent spine. I know it sounds silly, ridiculous and all but please if anyone cant help. Attach are what I think are good pics. Thanks for everything.

DSC00631-.JPG

Ps. I forgot I bought some API fungus cure individual powder packets, but tank had many frys (lucky me :-S) and I don't know if that will kill them.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have merged two of your threads, and opened the thread, both dealing with the same tank and fish. It may be less confusing to other members.

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

7. yusufm52 Member Member

i am not to experienced with the kind of problem you are facing but, if its a bacterial infection then i might suggest you quartine the affected fish and treat them with meds if large water changes have not help, i use teramycin capsules 250mg twice a day for two days then keep a tab on their health. as for the fries i can't say if the meds will help them or not...

best of luck. :)

8. sanjin Well Known Member Member

Did you get the second tank? I would definitely separate the affected fish, and try medication.