Diabetes

SotaAquatics

Hello All,

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes last week. Rainbow - just shy of 10 years old - is my best friend and has been with me through a lot of life changes and transitions over the past decade. The one constant that I have had through the majority of my adult life, my rock. He had been unexplainably losing a ton of weight the past two months and I was finally able to get him in to see the vet last week. He was diagnosed with diabetes. Tomorrow we go in again to get his subscriptions for insulin and food and learn how to do the shots. This will require twice daily injections of insulin for most likely the rest of his life, not an issue, I would move the world for him. But does anyone have any experience with this? I have heard they don't even feel the needles and can even learn that they feel better after getting the shots.

Is there anything you can suggest or previous experiences to help make this transition easier into a new routine? I have always let him open dry feed which will now have to be changed with his new food (we have a second younger cat). Any thoughts on this process? Has anyone ever set up an automatic feeder that triggers based off microchips? I am open to any ideas to help make things as easy as possible for this little guy going forward. Thanks all and take care.

Attachments

• Rainbow1.jpg
    Rainbow1.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Rainbow2.jpg
    Rainbow2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 23

Ouse

I love cats and I have two of them: a fat 3 year old long-haired tabby cat and a 9 month old grey siamese kitten.

I don’t use any needles on my cats but I think the siamese one would be more accepting of a needle than the tabby one. I flea the cats and when trying to do so the tabby one freaks and needs to be wrapped in a towel but the siamese one isn’t phased at all. Some cats are more accepting of treatments as such and hopefully your cat won’t mind the needle.

I wish you and Rainbow the very best of luck!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I have never given a cat a shot in my life. How does he handle his vaccinations at the vet?

I used to have a cat that i had to sedate before taking her in and they would still wear body armor.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I have never given a cat a shot in my life. How does he handle his vaccinations at the vet?

I used to have a cat that i had to sedate before taking her in and they would still wear body armor.

He is the most laid back cat I have ever met, never holds a grudge. I can take him into the shower with me - easier then a bath! So I am hoping for the best with it... I just worry if I do ever screw it up a little or make it pinch a bit that he will become more difficult. I don't want him to learn to not like this treatment, especially when we have to do it twice a day. Hoping maybe some treats will distract him enough and the insulin will make him feel better right away that he learns to associate it with a good thing.

Upvote 0

Ouse

My cats break into my bedroom early in the morning demanding a cuddle. The tabby sits on my arm and purrs into my face and the siamese rubs his fangs on my cheek and promptly leaves.

Cats are so funny and charming and it’s great to hear that your cat has it’s own cute yet predictably strange personality.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

He is the most laid back cat I have ever met, never holds a grudge. I can take him into the shower with me - easier then a bath! So I am hoping for the best with it... I just worry if I do ever screw it up a little or make it pinch a bit that he will become more difficult. I don't want him to learn to not like this treatment, especially when we have to do it twice a day. Hoping maybe some treats will distract him enough and the insulin will make him feel better right away that he learns to associate it with a good thing.
Hooefully he stays laid back about it. Certainly would make the whole process a lot easier on everyone involved.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Well, we learned how to do the shots yesterday afternoon at the vet. Got home, and I stabbed myself with the needle instead of the cat... instructions unclear! They don't seem too bad but he is not liking them. I am guessing he's a little tender from getting microchipped in the same area as well as 2 "practice" shots in addition to the actual insulin.

I made the mistake of trying to distract him with treats before giving him shots last night and this morning - my concern that he would now associate getting treats with getting shots has come true and he's now jumpy with treats at any point. Will be trying another approach to do the little injections tonight. Sounds like you can also give them in the flank, side of chest, side of belly, basically anywhere you can grab some skin and get the needle in subcutaneously.

The good news, he did seem more active after getting the shots, was jumping around on furniture a bit more, seemed more alert, so the journey has just begun but have hope for the future!

Attachments

• Rainbow3.jpg
    Rainbow3.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Ouse

I agree that cats overreact to being flea’d and struck with needles. My Willow has a strong disdain for any sort of treatment.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I agree that cats overreact to being flea’d and struck with needles. My Willow has a strong disdain for any sort of treatment.
Oh my gosh, totally agree with this... putting flea drops on Rainbow... you would think you were pulling out claws!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Catappa
  • Cat
Replies
Views
Biz
  • Question
  • Olivia Janae
  • Cat
Replies