Dg Is A Pig!!

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by CarrieFisher, Apr 17, 2017.

1. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

My DG is a total pig!
    He eats EVERYTHING!
    Even stuff off of the bottom that I drop for the Pleco.

The Pleco gets his veggies, still, but the big concern is that the DG is FAT!!

I fed peas to the whole gang tonight and tomorrow, I think we'll fast, but beyond this, anything I oughta do?

He's defecating normally, nothing abnormal there, just getting verrrry chubby after he scavenges the entire tank.
    (No pine-coning, or buoyancy issues, and he's very active and swimming normally)

It sure didn't take long, at all, for him to learn that the feeding ring is for *feeding*, lol

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

mine is the same.. he even eats my floating plants <.<

3. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

@GlamCrab, does he ever chill out?
    Does his belly ever go kinda normal?
    He acts like he's never been fed!! Lol
    I sit and watch them up close nightly and have never seen anything that would make me think of parasites.
    He's just a hungry hippo, I hope!!

4. GlamCrab

i have a male and female DG
    the female's belly is HUGE compared to the male. but she acts completly normal like yours..
    they investigate the tank for anything edible.. or anything i put in the aquarium. all daaay (the floating plants are an occasional snack)
    atleast ever since they discovered the cory's food.

5. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Lol, its amazing!
    There is literally nothing that he won't eat!!
    Pellets (2 types)
    Flakes
    Mini algae wafers
    Shrimp pellets
    Frozen brine shrimp
    Frozen bloodworms
    Peas (as of today)!!

These guys are so hard to take pics of, but you can kinda see it here...
    [​IMG]

6. GlamCrab

he is pretty~

mine are flame DG.

Pig 1:
    image.jpeg

Pig 2:
    image.jpeg
    (she doesnt look that bad here actually)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

She really doesn't at all!!

Thank you, I just hope that's a food baby and not something worse

8. GlamCrab

blegh, my screen made it looked like my original reply had spammed multiple times but anyways.

My DG are as much as pigs as yours.. Im not worrying too much for now.. Unless they start to show other worrying signs

9. GlamCrab

sorry!

10. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

No worries, im just grateful for your response, at all!

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

My DG, Otto, is definitely a piglet too. Eats everything.

He got a little too nosey today when I was doing a water change and I accidentally sent him flying across the tank with the end of my python. He just has to make sure anything put in the tank isn't food. Nothing like being smacked across the tank to get the point across. Lol. He is fine tonight btw. (He is my favorite fish and it was a huge accident. It totally freaked me out for sure)

[​IMG]

12. r15u5

r15u5 Valued Member Member

Beautiful flame DGs did you get m&f at the same time? Do they get along well?

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Carrie, what an awesome looking natural colored DG !!!! Keep him healthy and think about breeding (This is a good looking healthy fish).

Keep up the algae / veg part cause that's what most DG-diets lack.
    And try not to overfeed.

And last but not least : don't keep it to warm (trigger for matingbehaviour : agression).

14. GlamCrab

I got them at the same time. And they do get along pretty well. Sometimes they chase each other.. But they never fought. The worst they get is at feeding time.. If they both want the same piece of cory food.. My male chased around a flame tetra who stole food from him

(I showed them the picture of another male DG and they both came up flaring at it/trying to fight it. They dont act like that towards each other)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Wow!!
    Not that I can possibly take credit for it, but thank you!!
    Such a great thing to say!!

I wanted one with his coloring, but i didn't realize he was a real "stand out" kinda dude

I'm trying really hard to give my whole community a *very* varied diet.
    I even occasionally find him taking nibbles at The Fat Man's (the plec's) veggie clips.

I'm trying to keep them at approx 76/77F, but (tbh) my Eheim J├Ąger has been NOTHING but trouble since day one.
    I've attempted to calibrate it a gazillion times, and just when i think I've got it, the temp creeps up again

I'm also really excited to hear that he looks healthy; i think many here know me as "that nutty chick who freaks out about the tiniest things with her fish and tank, and has a little bit of a potty mouth"

16. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

My black neon tetras are total pigs too. One in particular, Bully, hovers over cories for crumbs. I've even witnessed her steal a piece right out of the cories mouth! Unfortunately, she does start to swim crooked when she's had too much. It's a battle to feed them.

Attached Files:

17. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

When upyou say "swim crooked", do you kinda mean that when they hover, theyre kinda tilted?
    My diamond tetra have done that before

18. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Yes! She is nose up sorta, like her nose is pointing to 1 o'clock and she's "bouncy". That fish is something else!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice