Dg Health Questions Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by w_johnson07, Apr 23, 2018.

1. w_johnson07

w_johnson07Valued MemberMember

Hi, I dont really know much about fish diseases so bear with me!
    My fish is a DG i have had for at least a month and for as long as I have had him he hasn't been a really excited eater. I have noticed also that he has had white stringy poop that stuck to him (I have to get it off of him multiple times). He has also lost a lot of weight he has two parts of him in his abdomen that are clearly visible (They are near his gills and in the middle of his body). I know about the DGD and how common it is, but he doesn't seem to have the symptoms. I have tried feeding him peas but he wasn't interested in it. He has also spent most of his time recently on the bottom of the tank in the same spot, while he is there his fins dont move. If anyone knows what is wrong please let me know.

(All of my parameters are good 0/0/5)
    (I also recently added plants and a albino cory if that would cause an issue)

2. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Does the albino cory show similar symptoms? How often/what do you feed the gourami? What size tank is the gourami in? Could you maybe send some photos of the gourami?

3. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

The Cory seems fine. I feed him Thera A Small fish formula. He is in a 5 gal. And here are some pictures:
    Image1524530542.317894.jpg

4. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

It might be stress, I'd suggest upgrading him to a larger aquarium, the minimum size for a dwarf gourami is probably a 15-20 gallon, and with even less space because you've got him in with a cory isn't helping (corries are schooling fish too, they should be kept in groups of at least 5). The food you've got him on is good, how often do you feed him? Apart from the stress, it might be he has internal parasites, they could be giving him that sunken in/underfed look. Disinterest in food and lethargy, as well as clamped fins are definitely signs of stress, something is amiss. My dwarf gourami is the complete opposite, swimming about constantly, always hungry.

5. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

I feed him once maybe twice a day. I was gone this weekend and was gone for a week around three weeks ago. Is this because he is starving. What do you recommend I do because I don't have that much money to spend on him and I want to do what best for him. He used to be completely happy until recently.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  6. DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

5 gallons is unfortunately too small for a DG and any sort of Corydoras (which should be kept in schools of their own species).

A Betta is about all you can do fish wise in a 5 gallon. I'd look at intestinal worms if he has white, stringy poop

7. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

What would you recommend I do? (I am on a tight budget)

8. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

The only thing I can suggest is continuing to observe him. I'd suggest you feed him 2 times daily, about as much as he can eat in 30 seconds to a minute, and no more than that each time. See if maybe you can find a cheap 10 gallon online, or try and find an alternative to the 5 gallon, it's definitely not helping him being in such a small area.

9. DaleM

DaleMWell Known MemberMember

I'd rehome the cory or take it back to the shop as well. Then you've only got the DG to worry about

10. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

okay so should I just watch him. Should I go ahead and treat it like a parasite or not. I also was wondering if I should make something to keep him toward the top of the tank so that he could eat easier or would that stress him out more?

11. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Try to keep an eye out for any progressions or other strange behaviours/characteristics, it likely wouldn't hurt to try and find an anti-parasite medication to treat just in case he has some form of parasite. I don't know any negative affects of treating healthy fish with medication if you suspect it could be that, so probably it's best to try treating him for parasites (I could be wrong here, but I've never run into a scenario where adding medication has hurt healthy fish).

12. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

Okay, I get my fish from Pet smart and I heard it is common for their cories to have parasites. I like my cory but do you think it would be best to return him?

13. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Yes, I do. That tank is definitely too small for the both of them and it would make it a little easier on your gourami to return him. Sometimes this happens, and we need to return fish, but it would a good decision on your part to take him back I'm afraid. :(

14. OP
    OP
    w_johnson07

He now has a tiny little spot of scales sticking up by one of his bloated marks, is this the beginning of pineconing?