DG black head!!!!!! Help

1. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

as i walk by my tank a few minutes ago i notice that my DG has some dark bloches on his head, and he is sitting on the botom breathing slowly, clamped fins, not much action all, still upright though, test readings are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, i have tested twice... should i quarintine? please help!!!!

2. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Is he leaning?

3. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

no leaning, just resting inbetween two leaves of a plant, kinda holding him upright...

4. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Well, I had a Honey Sunset DG start doing that and it just got worse and worse. Sadly, 48hrs later he was gone.

From my research, it was the DG disease/virus which has no cure. I hope he pulls thru!

5. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

should i quarintine

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Well, if it is that DG thing then it only affects them so QT really don't do any good. If you have other DG than it could help prevent or at least slow down the spread.

I didn't QT as I had no extra tank. My other Honey is so far doing fine so either I'm lucky or on borrowed time.

7. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

okay, so the illness you are refering to is iridovirus....?

8. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Yeah. I've seen it called that and DG Disease or DGD.

9. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the info mosin, u have been helpful and kind. so you should understand that i will wait for another opinion before any i make a decision on how to..... well,.... you know :'(.........

10. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

By all means.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Here's some info that may help. I'm sorry, I don't know more.

Dwarf Gouramis are becoming emaciated, losing their colour

Dwarf gouramis are prone to a virus known as the Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. One study by vets found that 22% of the dwarf gouramis exported from Singapore were infected with the virus. Infected fish gradually weaken and lose their colour, eventually developing sores and lesions on the body. The faeces become stringy and pale. The virus appears to be 100% fatal and completely incurable; it is also highly infectious. Sick fish should be isolated at once, and if Dwarf Gourami Disease is confirmed by careful observation of the symptoms, the fish should be painlessly destroyed.

Dwarf Gouramis may become sick for a variety of other reasons, and diseases like finrot and fungus can create superficially similar symptoms. That said, the quality of dwarf gouramis on the market is very variable, so take great care when shopping for these fish. Ideally avoid them altogether and opt for hardier, easier to maintain species such as Colisa fasciata and Colisa labiosus.

source: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/b4youwriteneale.htm

This may also help: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/dwfgdis.htm

I would quarantine. why take a chance, you know?

12. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

well now i definatly notice alot of bloating, and with out support its hard for him to keep himself upright, :'(

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry your fish is ill. :(
    I lost a couple of DG's this year and won't buy them again.

IF it's DGD, unfortunately, the other little guy will have been infected also.
    As you probably read, it's a very contagious, uncurable viral infection.

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't remember dark splotches being a symptom.
    In the beginning stages of DGD they will lose their appetite, become shy, bloat.
    Then they will develop sores on their body and their fins will deteriorate.

I'd agree with quarentining him in case it is something else (They are prone to bacterial infections) and he doesn't get picked on.

If the time comes that you feel he is suffering this link will explain theHumane method of Euthanasia for sick fish
    Sadly, I had to use this method. If it helps any, it was very peaceful, my boy didn't struggle.

Best of luck. :;group

14. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

now he has passed, rip little dg. i dont have another dg so are my other fish safe from getting the virus....?

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello jwok. Sorry to hear that you lost him. To my knowledge the Gourami Disease is only contagious to other gourami's. RIP
    Ken

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry you lost the little guy. :(
    I agree with Ken IF is was dgd, your other fish are probably ok.

17. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

Thanks all :(

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP little dwarf gourami.