Question Detritus Worms In Cycling Tank

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi all

I've got a 34l fluval flex cycling for pea puffers currently. It is going through a liquid ammonia based cycle (add and wait method) although i first started by adding food to rot but soon gave up because I was only getting a .25ppm reading after a week.

I've noticed a few very long white and wiggly worms that I've established are detritus worms. I'm not *too* worried as I know they're harmless BUT I don't want them to breed out of control - how likely is it that this will happen and how can I prevent it?

After the fish food cycle attempt i siphoned to get rid of rotting food. Tank now contains:
- driftwood
- sand substrate
- anubias on driftwood
- java ferns
- amazon swords
- eleocharis
- 3 moss balls (I think the culprit for the worms)
- some bladder snails (rip when peas arrive!)

I think some of the issue could be plant detritus but how can i prevent too much 'mess' and an explosion of worms without affecting my cycle? Photo attached 'cos i'm pretty proud of my scape!

Thanks!

Attachments

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Beautiful tank! Have you heard of no-planaria? I think it kills detritus worms and is safe for plants, shrimp, and fish, as well as the biological filtration. Be careful, it kills snails too. Also instead of using fish food use pure janitorial ammonia from ACE Hardware. That’s the one I’m using and it’s working great. Therefore you are not supplying food for worms. Make sure the ammonia is pure tho. If you shake it and it foams don’t get it. If it smells other than ammonia don’t use it. Don’t smell the ammonia directly, waft it to your nose. Ammonia gas is toxic and can and will destroy your respiratory system if you don’t waft it. The janitorial grade pure ammonia from ACE Hardware is perfect. Good luck!

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Beautiful tank! Have you heard of no-planaria? I think it kills detritus worms and is safe for plants, shrimp, and fish, as well as the biological filtration. Be careful, it kills snails too. Also instead of using fish food use pure janitorial ammonia from ACE Hardware. That’s the one I’m using and it’s working great. Therefore you are not supplying food for worms. Make sure the ammonia is pure tho. If you shake it and it foams don’t get it. If it smells other than ammonia don’t use it. Don’t smell the ammonia directly, waft it to your nose. Ammonia gas is toxic and can and will destroy your respiratory system if you don’t waft it. The janitorial grade pure ammonia from ACE Hardware is perfect. Good luck!
Thanks is it copper based? I'm concerned about using anything that could be harmful to pea puffers as they're scaleless so I can't use copper treatments. I am now using liquid pure ammonia and don't worry, having ended up in the emergency room after inhaling the ammonia accidentally smelling it (what an idiot) I won't do it again!!!! (I'm totally fine so it's ok to laugh)

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks is it copper based? I'm concerned about using anything that could be harmful to pea puffers as they're scaleless so I can't use copper treatments. I am now using liquid pure ammonia and don't worry, having ended up in the emergency room after inhaling the ammonia accidentally smelling it (what an idiot) I won't do it again!!!! (I'm totally fine so it's ok to laugh)
Oh my gosh! Glad u r ok. And no, it isn’t copper based. If I was it would kill shrimp. Pretty sure it’s safe for scaleless fish, but you should look into that.

Also when I was in 8th grade, I didn’t know anything about ammonia. It was a experiment for class and my friends told me to smell and I put my nose up to it and burned a lot more than I thought it would. So I know the pain, but it must’ve been a lot worse for you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom