Detritus Clean Up for Barebottom tank?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by brodylane1122, Dec 6, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Hi all, my shrimp tank is now barebottom. Still working on the setup but will post pictures as soon as it is finished. I've noticed that it gets dirty pretty fast (detritus). It cleans up well with gravel vac, but is there another cleanup crew for detritus I could look into? My first idea was MTS, but realized they like to burrow and would not like a barebottom tank.

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Maybe Ramshorns then? What size is the tank they are in?

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

MTS will do fine in a berbottom tank too. Unless your concern is not having substrate will stress them, in which case you may be right. If that means that you don't want to keep them, then don't. I can't say I can tell the difference though. It's not like you can analyze their behavior....

Sounds like you might want to invest in a turkey baster.

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

It is a 20 gallon.

I would love to have MTS, but my concern was that they would get stressed and die because of no substrate. Jaysee, have you kept MTS in barebottom tanks before?

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I have a couple of bare bottom quarantine tanks, permanently set up, that have trumpet snails in them.

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I am about to setup a 5g barebottom for RCS sitting in my 2g I am going to get a couple containers and fill with sand so it is still barbottom but the assassins and MTS can burrow in the cuntainers!!!

7. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Good to know!

If I had more room, I would consider it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice