Detailed Post About My Goldfish

1. goldfish101 Initiate Member

I have two common goldfish in my 10 gallon tank. I know, i need a bigger tank for them. But I have a few questions on my mind and i hope some of you can help me out.

For starters, here's a short video of my tank:

[video=youtube;zhKfBqipXO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKfBqipXO0[/video]

I have a Tetra whisper air pump, top fin filter, and a volcano decoration. I took out most of the decorations because the 10 gallon is already a bit small for them, so i wanted to make as much swimming space as possible. I'm currently feeding them Omega One sinking pellets, and i do 50% water changes/gravel vacs every week. Now on to my questions.

My first and main question is, how long can my goldfish stay in the 10 gallon? I am aware that for two growing common goldfish i should have at least 29 gallons, and depending how big they get when they're adults, 50-70 gallons. But how long can they be in this tank? Will they show any growth at all in my 10 gallon? When should i move them to a bigger tank?

My second question is, what should i be feeding them? I know that goldfish are omnivores, and they're also prone to swim bladder disease, so i'm feeding them shelled, cut up peas once a week. And as i stated above, i am feeding them sinking pellets every night. Is there any other foods that i should include in their diet? Aside from the issue of the size of the tank, i want to make sure these guys get the appropriate foods fed to them to assure that they will grow to their full potential and be healthy.

Thanks for taking the time to read :animal0028:

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

With common goldfish, they really need to be in a pond. In a 10gal, you can expect them to become stunted very quickly. It will be one of those things where it'll creep up on you and one day you'll look in your 10gal and realize that your fish don't look right. They need to be upgraded (as I said, preferably to a pond, or at the minimum a 120gal tank) as soon as possible to avoid stunting.

As for your second question, I feed my ryukins Omega One sinking goldfish pellets and NLS community pellets. and have never had a problem.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

You did the right thing by removing decor - they need as much space as possible. However, you should put a couple of things in there for them to swim around. What they don't need are a bunch of fake plants and stuff. You're feeding them good food and have good maintenance habits. You're doing good.

The answer to question 1 is longer than you should. My ex had a fancy that lived in a 10 gallon tank (until I met her). This fish was BIG in it's own right, but it was just MASSIVE for the tank size. I could not believe the fish got so big in such a small tank, but it did. However, fancies are different than commons. They (commons) need more room to swim. They will still grow, but at some point it will be at an increasingly slower rate. That's what makes upgrading tricky. If you wait till the fish are too big for the tank they are in, you've waited too long. It looks like they are about 2-2.5 inches long. I think you really ought to get them into a 29 as soon as you can. That will be a good short term temporary fix (several months) until you can get a 75, which will be a good long term temporary fix. After that, it's a 6 foot tank (180), then after that it's time for a pond. You can keep them for a while, but know that you'll probably have to give them up somewhere along the line - especially if you take good care of them.

The fancies are prone to swim bladder issues - the commons are much less problematic because they are not deformed. I exclusively feed NLS thera A - I think it's the best. Omega one is good food - feeding it every night is a good regimen.

4. goldfish101 Initiate Member

alright, i think i get the jist of it. i'm still researching about stunting, though.

Anyways, regarding what Jaysee said. You are correct, they are about 2 inches long. And yes, my particular commons love to swim. I feel like i am doing them an injustice by keeping them in a 10 gallon :( they seem to swim all over the place and they are VERY fast; they like to dart from corner to corner. Now i don't know if this is normal behavior, they could be possibly stressed from the small tank size, but it looks pretty natural to me.

One thing i've noticed whenever people tell me about upgrading tank sizes, is they tend to go up in a logical order. What i mean by that is they usually say upgrade to this size, then later upgrade to a bigger size, then continue upgrading to an even larger tank, and then permanently move them to a pond. My question is, would it be okay to move them to a large tank like a 180 gallon, or even to a pond instead of temporarily putting them in 29 gallons 55 gallons etc until they outgrow those? Or is there a reason why i keep getting advice to move them to bigger tanks and gradually work my way up? Would it stress them if i suddenly moved them from a 10 gallon to a pond/180 gallon tank? Because if im looking to invest on upgrading their tank size, i might as well just move them to their tank that will be their permanent home. I've already found a few sources where i can get humongous tanks for low price e.g. craigs list.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Generally speaking, people say upgrade in stages only because they assume that people either aren't willing or aren't able to make the jump to the required tank size (or in your case, a pond). If you're able to get them into a pond or big tank right away, that would actually be ideal.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes absolutely, you can always put them in a larger tank sooner. Most people resist the idea of going big from the start. However, I would grow them out in a smaller tank. If a 180 is on the table, then I would jump right to a 75 to grow them larger, before putting them in a 180. If you are considering getting a pond, I would still grow the fish in the 75 before moving them to the pond. But even if you get a 180, or I should say especially if you get a 180, you'll need to build a pond for a permanent home.

The problem with putting small fish in a huge tank is providing enough ammonia to keep a stable cycle, which is why I suggest growing them out in an intermediary tank.

7. goldfish101 Initiate Member

great:) thanks everyone so much for your help, its always appreciated.

but if you can just stick around for one more question that'd be great.

Lets say that i got my goldfish a 75 gallon, i cycled it, water parameters checked out, i had great filtration, had air pumps, etc., and all that was left was to transfer them into the tank and take care of them.

Now, assuming that they were put into this "perfect tank", how long would it take for them to show significant growth? weeks? months? the size of a healthy adult goldfish fascinates me, and i've always wondered the rate at which they grow. just thinking about the fact that these 29 cent fish can become so large over time gives me chills :)

thanks again for dropping by and helping me out!

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Oh okay, one more question...

If you put them in a 75 now, they should at least double in length by the end of the year. That's pretty significant growth, since a doubling of length translates to being many times larger in mass.

As for the adult goldfish size, my advice would be to save the 75 gallon as a hospital tank :)

9. goldfish101 Initiate Member

Awesome :) and yeah, that'd be a good idea.

Okay so my birthday is in 10 days and I have officially convinced my mom to let me get a 55 gallon tank off of Craig's list! :) it's not quite the 75 or 180 gallon I wanted but i think it should do for the next year or so.. But it's progress ^^ now I just have to convince her to let me build a pond in her garden :x all in good time, heh. Thanks Jaysee and bassbonediva for all your help :)

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The 55 will be good. The reason I had suggested the 75 was because it was wider, that's all. I think if you demonstrate good stewardship of the 55, you'll have a better shot at selling the pond to her. Ponds can be beautiful....or they can be an eyesore.

11. goldfish101 Initiate Member

thanks for mentioning the 75 to me! the only reason why i didn't look at any offers for a 75 gallon was because i thought it'd be much bigger and i wouldn't have enough room.. but it turns out that it's only 5 inches wider, same length and same height, so i think i'll be getting that one instead. dreams do come true :'D

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, the 75 is 6 inches wider, which translates to a 50% larger footprint. It doesn't seem like a lot to us, but to the fish it's a significant difference.