Detailed Instruction On Cycling With Shrimp

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by bjohn1011, Aug 18, 2019.

1. bjohn1011

bjohn1011New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I am cycling my first tank and was planning to use ammonia to do a fishless cycle. However I was instructed by a fish store owner to never put ammonia in the tank, and he gave me a packet of Nitro Boost and some written instructions on cycling in general. I mixed up the Nitro Boost according to the directions on the back of the package and dumped into the newly set up 28 gallon 24x24 Waterbox. The first item mentioned in the printed instructions was how many goldfish to put in! Since I do not want to torture a living creature, I found an article on the internet about using a shrimp. So with the Nitro Boost and a medium shelled shrimp (inserted in a mesh bag) now in the tank, I have a few questions that I should have gotten the answers to before now! 1. Will I need more shrimp. 2. Will the shrimp need to come out at some point. 3. Will using shrimp slow down the cycling process. And 4. Do I need to add anything else to complete the cycle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. OP
    OP
    bjohn1011

bjohn1011New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    A couple of other questions: 5. The water is very cloudy (white), and it has only been 24 hours since the tank was filled. The Nitro Boost was yellowish colored, not white. The gravel was rinsed and re-rinsed over a 2 day period, and gravel dust should have settled overnight anyway. What could the cloudiness be coming from. 6. Will the shrimp stink up the house? Heater is set at 80.