Desperately Need Advice On Columnaris Treatment!! Help

1. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I'm currently treating for columnaris in my tank - 1 sterbai had it really bad and at least 1 other cory was starting to show symptoms as well. My treatment schedule has been as follows:

7/2 - Jungle Fungus Clear by itself (didn't have Kanaplex yet)

7/6 - large water change and dosed JFC and Kanaplex

7/8 - Kanaplex

7/10 - large water change and dosed JFC and Kanaplex

So my next water change is due tomorrow. Most of the cories are looking ok but the really sick one still has at least 4-5 white patches (although looks MUCH better than before the meds)! I've heard that Kanaplex can be used for a second round (3 doses) if necessary but I've also heard that it's really hard on the kidneys.

Should I dose with more Kanaplex with JFC and basically just follow the same dosing schedule as above? Should I try just JFC without Kanaplex? Switch to something else?

@CindiL (not sure if you're still on vacation :) )
    @AllieSten
    @KimberlyG

2. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I don't think I would mix meds. Try to figure out exactly what you are treating for and then treat it properly. If kanaplex is bad on the kidneys you don't want to put that stress on them plus more stress from the other meds as well.

3. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Hmm. @KimberlyG said normally not to mix meds, but in the case of columnaris it's necessary to combine kanamycin and nitrofurazone because they increase the effectiveness of the other. The jungle fungus clear wasn't helping by itself, once the meds were combined it made a huge difference, but it's nowhere near 100% cleared up.

4. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

If you are sure it's colomnaris and you have done your own research and agree with her on this treatment (never just take anyones word. Always look it up and make your own informed opinion) then you can do what you would like but mixing meds is not usually a good idea. It's really hard on the fish and its internal organs as well as your tank itself. Just tread carefully and do lots of research first :)

5. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Lol honestly I'm always nervous to give them meds but it has definitely improved in the last week. And the ladies I listed have yet to steer me wrong Thank you for your advice!

6. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So while I was waiting I went ahead and did a water change even though it wasn't due until tomorrow. Figured I'd give them maybe 1-2 day break and let them relax a bit. I'm still not sure about how to get rid of the columnaris though - it's stubborn! So any advice from anyone on that would be awesome! Thanks!

7. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm kinda lost here.

8. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Anyone?

9. Biev Member Member

I've gotten rid of columnaris using this method before. I used Kanaplex + Furan-2 rather than JFC, but the active ingredient is nitrofurazone in both cases. (I was also using aquarium salt, since the fish I was treating do well in brackish water.)

Once the this round of treatment is over, you'll want to remove the meds with a big water change and some carbon, and give the fish a break before you try anything else. This is, as fas as I know, *the* method to get rid of columnaris, so if it doesn't work for you, maybe you should look at other diseases that have similar symptoms.

10. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

How many rounds of Kanaplex did you do? I did like a 80% water change yesterday and have extra carbon in the filter. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do a second round so I wanted to give them a break for a few days. I think I also might try the Furan 2 instead of JFC.

11. Biev Member Member

I only did one round, if memory serves. They weren't really advanced cases. If you've seen some improvement in yours but they're not quite there yet, I'd give them a few days of clean water followed by a second treatment. No more than two, though, and make sure the water quality is really good before you get a treatment started. Also make sure the temperature in your tank is no higher than 75F, this is an important factor in how fast the disease spreads. The colder the better (within the range that is comfortable to your fish).

12. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You also can't have carbon in the tank when treating. It will remove all of the meds.

13. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I only put it in after the water change to get all the meds out before doing a second round :)

14. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Cool, that's pretty much what my gut was telling me to do but I kept second guessing myself lol

15. Biev Member Member

That's what we're here for : )