Desperately Looking For Help Rehoming Big Fishes

FQ340

Reaction score
Yes he posted a few videos about the build. It’s very impressive. He used to have turtles and stingrays in there too. How cool is that?
He built the tank along one side of the wall. Once it’s empty, we’ll just take everything apart and remodel the basement again.
It is a beautiful tank but frankly fish is just not my hobby and it’s too big for me to maintain. I tried for 3 years but when things started to break, I just don’t have the knowledge and skill to fix them. I hope all the fishes will be in good hands.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You never wanted the fish but well done for being responsible and trying to find them a home. They are beautiful.

I bet it was a wrench for the guy who built it to leave them.

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Chicagoland! There is a fish rescue here in Chicago!

Aquarium fish Sanctuary | Not for Profit

He helped me when I rescued a tank full of fish and supplies last December. He is a marvelous fellow. He found homes for all the fish and I donated the supplies to his cause.

Also: have you considered contacting the Shedd Aquarium? With fine specimens that large they may have a place for them!

FQ340

Reaction score
SixThreeOh said:
Well this was just posted.
Darn it you beat me to it.
Like he said, he underestimated the size of the fishes. There’re 4 fishes left in the tank now. The 4 biggest ones. He’ll make a second trip back for these fishes. These guys are amazing!

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Excellent rescue! What can I say? WOW!

FQ, my hat's off to you for the dedication you gave to these monsters, and taking on a herculean task, just maintaining these fish as long as you did! You're a real hero!

Hat's off and kudos too OFR! They really did go out of their way to see to it that these fish will get new homes!

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that guy's hair is wild!!

jeez... i had no idea iridescent sharks get THAT big. O_O it's sad they sell those things in pet stores.

i bet you're relieved!!!

FQ340

Reaction score
Thought you guys would like to know. OFR came again yesterday to get the remainder of the fishes and some equipment. I’m happy to report that the operation went smoothly. They loaded their truck up to the hilt! Now it’s clean up time for me. Glad that all fishes are in good hands. Look for their second video soon. I also want to thank the fishlore community for your support!

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FQ340,
thank you so much for caring about what happened to these fish. Not many people who love the hobby would take this on probably, much less someone who isn't into it. Your dedication and compassion is amazing! This thread made my day, thank you!!! So happy it had a happy ending

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sad to see my dream tank end but so happy to even had a small part in any of it .
Even if it is the end . Real tears in my eyes right now ..
Good luck and big thanks for doing the right thing and sharing with us .

Tbox

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
this guy drove 2300 miles to rescue fish.

a previous tour video
Love that guy! Hopefully he gets his 58,000gal river pool going soon.

Tbox said:
Love that guy! Hopefully he gets his 58,000gal river pool going soon.
Wait! I just saw the pool renovation vid... so awesome!

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FQ340 said:
Thank you guys for the information. I tried a couple of local aquariums with no luck. They're only interested in saltwater fishes. I'll definitely try Ohio Fish Rescue and see if I can also find any other local fish rescue. I emailed Bass Pro and see if they can help as well.
I'm not sure what fishes they're. I know there're 2 catfishes. The white one and the 3 grey ones are some kind of catfishes but I don't remember the exact name. All these fishes are about 2 ft long.
We're able to keep these fishes healthy thanks to the previous owner who left a very detailed instruction on how to maintain the tank and he did a lot of clever touches to the tank that makes it relatively low maintenance. However, it does consume a lot of power and water.
The white ones are channel cats, and they'll get bigger. I was also going to advise Ohio fish rescue. But there are also more "monster" fish keepers and rescues all over YouTube. I had to rehome a white channel cat. He starting even eating the rocks and marbles in aquarium, he was 12yrs old and at about 15ins. I bought him at a local less at about 3ins. Live an learn. Lol.

I'm so happy for your outcome. Its great when a community comes together to help others. Cheers to you all!

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got started in cichlids by taking on a dozen "rescue" fish. This was a wonderful experience and I can only envy guys like big Rich, who get to operate a private aquarium bigger than anything within 100 miles of me. I love Moro Bay and Monterey only for the aquariums, and they are hours away by car.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OFR, what an amazing group, and hat's off to the OP for the excellent care given to those fish! Kudo's!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Iridescent sharks and Balas are on my list of fish that should not be sold to people without verification they have the right size tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom