Desperately Looking For Help Rehoming Big Fishes

FQ340

Reaction score
Hi everybody. First post here. I've read through the forum rules and I hope I didn't violate any rule.
I need some serious help here. We bought a house from an aquarium enthusiast in 2016. He had a 2700 gallon fish tank in the basement and some very large fishes in there. He built it from scratch himself. Honestly, I'm not really a fish person but we really liked the house so we pulled the trigger and bought the house and took over the fishes.

Fast forward 3 years, the fish tank is starting to fall apart. Not that it's leaking (I hope it doesn't but I've been worrying since day one) but some equipment are starting to fail. The basement is already a humid space and with 2700 gallon on water in it, it make the basement even more humid.

After a lot of thoughts, we think it is time for us to pull the plug. Our main problem is that we do not know how we can give away these fishes. These cannot be given away easily like goldfishes. For starter, they're huge. Then there's the space constraint. We only have access to the narrow tank from one side, and it's the narrow side, too. It would be extremely difficult to get those huge, strong fishes out of the tank.

I don't want to kill these fishes. Can anyone point me to the right direction on how to get these fishes to a new home? I'm in the Chicagoland area. Thank you. And sorry if I'm not supposed to post this here.

2x image1.jpeg 1x image2.jpeg 2x image3.jpeg
3x image4.jpeg + some kois.

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe even public aquariums. If they were interested they would have the staff and facilities to transport them.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
try local fish rescues, fish stores, bass pro shops, and monster fish keeper groups.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can't help you but would like to compliment you for keeping them in such good shape the last 3 years, despite not being a fish person. Best of luck.

FQ340

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the information. I tried a couple of local aquariums with no luck. They're only interested in saltwater fishes. I'll definitely try Ohio Fish Rescue and see if I can also find any other local fish rescue. I emailed Bass Pro and see if they can help as well.
I'm not sure what fishes they're. I know there're 2 catfishes. The white one and the 3 grey ones are some kind of catfishes but I don't remember the exact name. All these fishes are about 2 ft long.
We're able to keep these fishes healthy thanks to the previous owner who left a very detailed instruction on how to maintain the tank and he did a lot of clever touches to the tank that makes it relatively low maintenance. However, it does consume a lot of power and water.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FQ340 said:
Thank you guys for the information. I tried a couple of local aquariums with no luck. They're only interested in saltwater fishes. I'll definitely try Ohio Fish Rescue and see if I can also find any other local fish rescue. I emailed Bass Pro and see if they can help as well.
I'm not sure what fishes they're. I know there're 2 catfishes. The white one and the 3 grey ones are some kind of catfishes but I don't remember the exact name. All these fishes are about 2 ft long.
We're able to keep these fishes healthy thanks to the previous owner who left a very detailed instruction on how to maintain the tank and he did a lot of clever touches to the tank that makes it relatively low maintenance. However, it does consume a lot of power and water.

Since you are in the Chicagoland area-have you tried either of the Aquarium Adventure locations (Hoffman and Bolingbrook, I think). They have an open indoor koi pond and a massive freshwater fish tank (with what I assume are mostly rescued or unsold large fish) at one of their locations. They took an agressive fish from me that I had bought months earlier without a receipt or anything.
They might be able to take a couple of the fish off your hands between the 2 locations.
I wish I could offer to take them but only my 55 gallon has room and I don't think that would work...lol.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hope this is ok, but check out monsterfishkeepers.com. Someone there may be able to help as well.

FQ340

Reaction score
Speaking of perfect timing, Ohio Fish Rescue will be in Chicago from 8/21 to 8/25 and they will contact me when they're here.
JessicaSwanlake said:
Since you are in the Chicagoland area-have you tried either of the Aquarium Adventure locations (Hoffman and Bolingbrook, I think). They have an open indoor koi pond and a massive freshwater fish tank (with what I assume are mostly rescued or unsold large fish) at one of their locations. They took an agressive fish from me that I had bought months earlier without a receipt or anything.
They might be able to take a couple of the fish off your hands between the 2 locations.
I wish I could offer to take them but only my 55 gallon has room and I don't think that would work...lol.
I haven't tried Aquarium Advanture but I will try if OFR can't help. Thanks! Hopefully OFR can help me with all fishes!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hope Rich from OFR hooks you and the fish up ..
Are you just going to give up on fish or could you be persuaded into keeping a fish tank of normal size ??
You have clearly done well with them ..
Good luck .

BusterBot28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Holy carp!! I wish I had a tank that big much less a basement. Glad they have always been in good hands.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any chance you could post a pick further back just to see more of the tank. Would love to see it with a person next to it to get some reference of the overall size.

FQ340

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Hope Rich from OFR hooks you and the fish up ..
Are you just going to give up on fish or could you be persuaded into keeping a fish tank of normal size ??
You have clearly done well with them ..
Good luck .
Thank you. I think I’ll just give up on fish or on any pets for the time being. My young daughter will keep us really busy for the foreseeable future.
flyin-lowe said:
Any chance you could post a pick further back just to see more of the tank. Would love to see it with a person next to it to get some reference of the overall size.
Below is a video of the tank posted by the previous owner. It’s amazing that he built it by himself. He took all the small fishes with him. Only the big fishes remain now.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have MY DREAM TANK !
No joke here is what I think is YOUR TANK being built !

No joke ! I have posted this video so many times !
This the tank finished ??

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i just remembered that aquashella will be in chicago soon. (well, not until late september.) i really hope the rescue will be able to take them off your hands. they may be able to find adopters at the event.

is the tank totally built into the wall? wonder what you do when it's empty. i guess try to take it out and rebuild the wall over it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom