Desperately In Need Of Help. Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Melissa Wedin, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Melissa Wedin

Melissa WedinValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    So I was given a betta tonight I was told he is a beautiful black orchid twin or double tail. He is in wicked bad shape I have never seen a fish with such bad fin rot. It's so bad he has sore on him. I went picked EM erythromycin put out by API. I gave him a 15 min methylene blue dip. He is currently chilling in a cup before I put him in some medication in a gallon keeoke only so he doesn't have to work so hard to swim and stuff. He normally lives in a 5 gallon. I boil my almond leaves to make a strong tea for them. I put some in his water as well with a touch of salt. He seems extremely painful. I also have marineland Total Care conditioner in his water it helps with slim coat. Work's better than API in my opinion. I will post pictures of zant. Any help would be great. He dosdoes want to give up so I won't either. IMG_20181214_211352.IMG_20181214_211455.IMG_20181214_211400.

2. BettaNovice101

BettaNovice101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    1 year
    Poor Baby! I hope others will give you advise about what you are doing and what they would do. But I want to let you know that my betta has had fin rot that bad, and with good clean water from daily partial water changes, warm water with a good heater, light feeding, Kanamycin treatments in my tank and dipping outside the tank with Methylene Blue and using Stress Guard helped him get over it. He would actually swim through the Stress Guard in the tank, so I think it feels comforting to him.

3. OP
    OP
    Melissa Wedin

Ratings:
    +45
    Oh good to know I'm doing exactly what you did. This conditioner has immune booter. All I have for a antibiotic is is just the API EM erythromycin. Yes I really upset about him. I bought him for my nephew. I went up one side and down other. He wanted to fix his fish so he can go right back to that **** care. I told he has a snowballs chance in ****. I another one I legit stole from walWalm with mouth rot! I think I caught him early enough to treat him as well. I love betta's. With zant back I know have 30, 6 of which a females that live extremely well together in heavily planted 20 long

How many days did you give him a dip for?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
  4. Jafa

JafaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +250
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If I took on the care of this Betta (as I would most likely) I would put him in a clean betta jar with pristine water.
    I would then treat him with a good fungus/fin rot cure. I choose Maracyn Plus.
    The great thing about Bettas is you can house him in a jar and thoroughly clean his home every 2nd day.
    When he is well you can plan his permanent, more pleasing, housing.

PS He is very beautiful

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Methylene blue is great for finrot, you're definitely on the right track!
    Also, I've seen worse finrot, he should end up being just fine

6. OP
    OP
    Melissa Wedin

Ratings:
    +45
    He is just sticking to the bottom of his keeper. He is able to get up to get air pretty easy. Can you tell how many baths I should give him? He is very week and very stressed. He is in a quite part of my apartment where it is nice and darkish for him.

Thank you. Hee will hopefully be back to his once magnificent looking g self.

Yes I know this. I haven't never treated fin rot this bad before. He has everything thing he needs now. And unfortunately I don't have a lot more ey kicking around and API EM erythromycin is all I have. I have metroplex put out by seachems along sulfplex, I have focus as well, I have cupramine by seachems as well. Oh I have your basic all in one by Tera. I normally put all new through the all in one treatment during qt time.

this is before all of this
    received_297351620910927.received_311822419540785.

IMG_20181215_112844.

This is zant this am. I have to pull heater from another tank that really doesn't need it it's there just in case my heat ever stops working I live in the far Northeast. His temp is currently 79 his water is fresh as fresh can be. It's yellow from the almond leaves I boil. I don't like the leaf litter in my tanks. The only one that gets leafs is my wild green spot Tu.

7. CaptAnnDuchow

CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Experience:
    Just started
    He is so beautiful..Good luck!

8. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    For these guys, they're normally pretty stressed and weak already, so I generally give them some time between baths/dips. You can either do the 10 second dip as listed on the bottle, or use the regular dose times two for 30 minutes in a separate container. I'd shoot for doing one every 3-4 days until you see transluscent edges on the fins, which is regrowth. I normally don't have to do more than 2-3 baths.

9. OP
    OP
    Melissa Wedin

Ratings:
    +45
    Thank you so much. I have only given him onee, I did for 15mins it was when he first got here. Not a fan of the 10 second dip with him being as week as he is. Normally when I bathe fish I do it in a small keeper in my bathroom with door shut and lights out, normally the dark helps them chill and isn't as stressful. I will give him another bath tonight. He did eat a few frozen brine shrimp, which I will take is a good sign. This am he was checking the bottom of the keeper for food. I really do not want to feed hhimto much I want his water to say prefect. All my keepers are cycled keepers. I have way to many fish not too. They are filtered by mother nature.

Become a Fishlore Member