Desperate For Answer To Cloudy Tank Problem

Judith

Reaction score
I have a freshwater tank with 3 tetra and just moved from Fl to NC. They transported fine and I set the tank up fresh using spring water as that's what they're used to. Within 48 hours the water turned cloudy so I purchased some clarifier. All that did was make white fuzz on everything and water still cloudy. I did ANOTHER complete water change and washed everything good, but 24 hrs later it was clouding again. So I got a whole new set up, tank/filter, gravel and 5 fresh gallons of spring water. Again it clouded up so I did a partial change and added clarified. Again all that did was create white fuzz. In desperation, I bought algae destroyer and used bleach to wash everything in the tank and 5 fresh gallons of spring water. It's been about 26 hours and water is clouding again. Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I am so frustrated.

I think I'm in the wrong place. This is a new question.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still kind of new but it sounds like you're not letting the nitrogen cycle take place. I believe the clouding may be the beneficial bacteria (bb) growing. You have to allow this process to take place I believe it can take up to 6 weeks, maybe more. You should read up on the nitrogen cycle it explains the process and the actions you have to take to help it grow. If you have any old filter media from your tank before you moved you can use this to speed up the cycle greatly (it has to still be wet). Click on any of the blue words to read up on things you may not know yet.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like a bloom. They happen with new tanks. Time will clear it up.

AnnaP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree. Sounds like bacterial bloom. Not harmful to fish except bacteria will use up a lot of oxygen, use an air stone, so there’s enough oxygen for everything. Cloudiness should clear up in a couple of days.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Judith said:
I have a freshwater tank with 3 tetra and just moved from Fl to NC. They transported fine and I set the tank up fresh using spring water as that's what they're used to. Within 48 hours the water turned cloudy so I purchased some clarifier. All that did was make white fuzz on everything and water still cloudy. I did ANOTHER complete water change and washed everything good, but 24 hrs later it was clouding again. So I got a whole new set up, tank/filter, gravel and 5 fresh gallons of spring water. Again it clouded up so I did a partial change and added clarified. Again all that did was create white fuzz. In desperation, I bought algae destroyer and used bleach to wash everything in the tank and 5 fresh gallons of spring water. It's been about 26 hours and water is clouding again. Can anyone tell me what is happening here? I am so frustrated.

I think I'm in the wrong place. This is a new question.
Your tank is cycling. Did you go through this when you had the tank set up previously? Every tank goes through a nitrogen cycle, you can read up on it either here or just Google it. If you have fish in the tank you should be monitoring your water with a test kit, dont get the strips because they are always wrong, get something like API master kit, because ammonia is produced from fish waste and can kill your fish if you are not doing daily water changes until the beneficial bacteria grows out. Also you should be using a water conditioner befor you add water back to the tank.

AnnaP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Judith, in your profile it says that you don’t know about nitrogen cycle. Knowledge of nitrogen cycle is essential. Learn and understand it and things that are happening in your tank will make sense. Use Prime water conditioner until your tank is cycled. It will neutralize harmful ammonia and nitrites meanwhile. Good luck!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like, as mentioned above that you lost the cycle. When you moved from FL to NC did you keep your filter wet? If you didn’t or tossed the filters then your essentially starting over.

Since you have fish in there you will need to do daily water changes until your tank is established. This will likely take at least 4 weeks.

If you have a API master test that will tell you what your dealing with.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom