Desktop Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Nathan chin, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Nathan chinValued MemberMember

What's nice 5-10gallon desk tank setup?

2. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

A desk tank is usually smaller than a 5 gallon but if you have the space for it a 10 would be best.

3. Summer22Valued MemberMember

Are you looking for equipment suggestions or stocking (fish)?

Personally I love my 10 gallon betta and red cherry shrimp tank with black sand as substrate to make their colors pop.

Keep in mind the weight of your tank when it's full of water and substrate if you choose a 10 gallon which weighs about 111 lbs when filled.

4. Nathan chinValued MemberMember

I have a small tank but I'm only guessing the size, will the betta eat the shrimp? Stocking, equipment any advice really

5. MossBallValued MemberMember

I actually wanted to do the same thing. I had planned to do a 1.5gal with mossballs and ghost shrimp. But once I got to the pet store I quickly upgraded to a 10g. I am still debating doing a 2.5 or 5.5 in addition. But as far as set up, I use an Elite Micro Filter and so far it does very well in such a small tank. It is a combo sponge/hang on back filter. I plan to use it for any tank I ever set up 10g or under.
    As far as substrate, I sugest either black or white sand and some kind of ornimental stone/rock.(either gem looking or a small bag of gravel or small bag of pebbles. Before set up I highly sugest figuring out what you plan to keep in the tank as far as living things. Especially what color they will be. This will help finding contrasting substrate and decorations/plants. For me I knew my living things were going to be orange/red and white so I did a lot of black, blue, and green to contrast those colors.
    Now on to what to keep. This has some to do with do you want a heater? Adding a heater increases your options slightly. Without a heater, you'r options are mainly any combination of these: beta, shrimp, guppy. Notice I did not make guppy plural because the multiply quickly! With a heater you can add neons, endlers and some tetras and dionos. But some of these need a large school and with your tank size that is impossible. I highly sugest getting a mossball no mater how you stock it. They are so useful! Now when I listed those, that was not to say all of that will fit. A small school or neons/endlers might fit. A colony of shrimp might fit. A betta or a guppy might fit. A trio of dianos or tetras might fit. Make sure to do good research on size requirements and school number requirements.
    The main thing to consider and the reason I upgraded is the maintanince increases exponentially in frequency and importance the smaller the tank gets. Meaning when there is a problem, it happends suddenly and it becomes a big problem very quickly.

6. Summer22Valued MemberMember

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree on a couple things that were said.

A heater is an absolute must for a Betta as well as Guppies. Research and you shall see.

I feel that less than a 10 would not be okay for any fish except the Betta and the Shrimp. With a 2.5 gallon being absolute minimum for Betta.

Do Bettas eat shrimp? Sometimes yes sometimes no. You're kind of taking a gamble. If you choose to go this route, which many have including myself, then you could pick out the Betta first and buy one shrimp and see how the Betta acts.

Again don't want to be difficult but I had to correct.

7. Nathan chinValued MemberMember

Anyone know where I can get a small cube aquarium?

8. Summer22Valued MemberMember

You could try amazon? But I can't say which brands to look for...don't know them well.

There's specialty fish keeping online stores like Foster and Smith but I would think they're more expensive than researching for a good brand or what you like then checking amazon for it. You will find "kits" sold as well as seperate parts for the tank. It's generally more expensive (and you get cheaper quality) if you buy the kits that have tank, heater, hood, lights, and many times a filter all bundled in one. I'm a sucker for convenience so I've always gone this route :D.
    Some say you need a filter some say no (with a betta). Here's a good article that talks about both sides for you to decide.

Maybe others could help here to....

Oh and 2 more things. You need to get the liquid master test kit. Either online or at most pet stores that have fish. Stay away from the cheaper paper test strips because these are notorious for being inaccurate. The liquid versions are around $30.00 but I'm still using same one after a year.

And finally make sure you read the thread at very top of "freshwater for beginners" section that says something like "Read this first" I believe. It's a folder with very helpful articles that teach you the basics for fish, such as why you need the test kit and what your measuring and all that. It's called the Nitrogen Cycle, especially if you want to keep shrimp as they are incredibly sensitive to any issues with this.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. AvyNew MemberMember

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with all of this -- although my desk tank is a 5g. It's moderately planted and only has a betta. I might add a few snails but that's about it. Hope this helps!

10. AvyNew MemberMember

I'm a fan of the Fluv Spec nano aquarium. The filtration is lovely, but I will say the output can be a little strong even at the lowest setting. There are workarounds for that, of course. They're priced well on Amazon but the price fluxuates. I check daily like a little weirdo. Ex: a white Fluval Spec V was about $60 the other day and now it's $80... but still cheaper than in stores. Plus it comes with everything you need except a heater. But a 50w Aqueon heater is cheap, small, and efficient.

11. KaelicoValued MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. MossBallValued MemberMember

No worries! I would much rather someone get accurate info than I always be right lol. But I know when I was googling room temp freshwater fish, guppies and betas came up as options all the time. And I know I had an 8 gallon years ago with guppies I used to bread and give to people and they did really well without a heater. Almost too well lol. Now I have never kept a beta so the info I found could be wrong but said they can both be in 72 F min temps and that is or is less than room temp so that is why my assumption was they do not need a heater if the room you keep them in is 72-76 just like most "room temp" places I have ever been. I guess it depends what part of the world you live in and what part of the house the tank is kept in. Anyway, sorry if my info was wrong or confusing. Did I get everything else right?

13. Heather LValued MemberMember

I have a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. It comes as a complete set up and has an interesting design that I find pleasing. It's actually my favorite tank :)
    The filter is good, although at the lowest setting the output is still a bit high for this size tank. The build in LEDs are nice, but the light is limited to the center of the tank, I modified by putting extra lighting around the edge of the lid. If you don't live plant your tank this would not be needed.
    I use Eco-Complete substrate, and have the tank moderately planted. I did add a heater, as it gets cold in Michigan, but I only heat to 72 f.
    I stocked my tank with 5 Golden White Cloud Minnows, 2 Nerite snails and 5 red cherry shrimp.
    I do a 25% water change once a week, and do a low dose of potassium and flourish once a week.
    28146fc363ad13d3766fec7cc5cf0c25.jpg

14. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

MossBall was pretty incorrect with some of his info. Sorry. If you have a 5 or 10, maybe a guppy fraternity? I've been keeping livebearers (mainly guppies and platys) for about 10 years, all male should be good as long as you 3 or more healthy specimens.

15. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

16. s hawkWell Known MemberMember

I have a 5.5 gallon my actual desk, and a fluval spec III on a nightstand/desk/shelf thing. The 5 gallon has 5 ember tetras, a nerite snail, and a ghost shrimp. The spec III just has a betta (I tried adding the a shrimp and snail, but he is just way to aggressive. I would highly recommend live plants to boost atheistics and water quality. In terms of stocking there is limited options in small tanks (as being discussed). However the question becomes do you want a fish with personality, or just a dynamic environment on your desk. I ask this because this wasn't something I thought about when I was first starting out. For example my betta will come up to me if I am looking at the tank, and certainly has a personality. This constrasts to the ember tetras who hid in the corner for a few montths, but now have gotten comfortable and are all around the tank. Both tanks are have their advantages, and are fun to watch.

17. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Maybe male guppies but not females. The females get just enough bigger that they look ridiculous in the smaller tank. We had 4 females in a 10 gallon and they always looked like they were on top of each other. Also if you get females unless they've never been with boys, i.e. aren't from a store, they are probably pregnant. Looking at my tank I have 1 red phantom (he's the last one :( ) and I swear he doesn't move, at all. Maybe look into a red phantom, he's not real big and he (a little bit) more with a group. Kind of like bettas, mine were not real active.

18. Summer22Valued MemberMember

Yes ;). An 8 gallon would be fine I think. When I said you needed a 10 minimum I was making the assumption that the only other lesser options would be going down to a 5 gallon or less. I didn't realize that they made other sizes that close to 10. So I learned something too. Your willing attitude is very refreshing here. Sometimes differences in opinions can get heated. Cheers.

19. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

A lot of aquascaping contests use 8 gallon (30 liter / 7.9 Gallons) tanks for their basic small tank competition. Fluval Flora / Ebi... even discontinued, Fluval still makes them for competitions. Nice feature is... you usually take them home after the competition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice