Desktop tank stocking ideas?

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When i get an actual desk I'm going to want an aquarium on it, and was wondering what would be possible options. It'll probably be around 5 gallons as I'm going to need space on the desk for my gaming setup, so don't want it to take up a ton of space. Also of course I'm going to move the gaming stuff off of the desk when i clean the tank so I don't get water on it. Any suggestions? I want something that will be active to look at while I'm bored doing online school or waiting for the next match in a game, so try to avoid the fish that'll just sit there and look pretty. I want something that does stuff.

Best Answer - View Mii's answer

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could do a pair/trio of sparkling gourami, a single betta (still a very active fish, and a female or short-finned male won’t be slowed by extensive finnage), a cherry shrimp colony, a ghost shrimp colony, a single dwarf crayfish, a single pea puffer, or if you’re willing to do something a bit more unique, you could try a scarlet badis pair, but they may be a bit difficult to feed.

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crimson_687 said:
You could do a pair/trio of sparkling gourami, a single betta (still a very active fish, and a female or short-finned male won’t be slowed by extensive finnage), a cherry shrimp colony, a ghost shrimp colony, a single dwarf crayfish, a single pea puffer, or if you’re willing to do something a bit more unique, you could try a scarlet badis pair, but they may be a bit difficult to feed.
Can i feed scarlet badis frozen foods or do they need live?

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crimson_687 said:
I do miss having a betta my last one died young (dropsy). Sparkling gouramis are also nice, i do really like them.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mii said:
Can i feed scarlet badis frozen foods or do they need live?
Never owned them myself, but from what I’ve read it’s usually live, but you may be able to find one that is accustomed to other food types. Definitely do research before deciding if this is a fish for you. Live would be the best for their health and behavior. If you’re not too familiar with live foods or picky fish, I’d opt with the sparkling gourami. They’re extremely hardy, will breed, make croaking noises, have a varied diet, and they never disappoint.

Maryellen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Go with a shrimp tank! Small enough to put on a desk, and looks so, sososo cool if done nicely. I know you asked for an active fish, but... I mean, live shrimp, in your room. What a cool conversation piece.

Acc

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a single betta! They are hardy, easy to feed and gosh darn gorgeous. Just keep in mind that depending on where you live you might have to invest in a heater. Good luck deciding!

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Acc said:
Can't go wrong with a single betta! They are hardy, easy to feed and gosh darn gorgeous. Just keep in mind that depending on where you live you might have to invest in a heater. Good luck deciding!
Bro all my tanks run heaters they're not that expensive.

Acc

Reaction score
Mii said:
Bro all my tanks run heaters they're not that expensive.
Hahah lucky you. We need to import ours in my country. Turns expensive and didn't know which country you were from, hence mentioned. :)

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Acc said:
Hahah lucky you. We need to import ours in my country. Turns expensive and didn't know which country you were from, hence mentioned. :)
Oof that would suck having to import them

Acc

Reaction score
This is my boy. He gets crazy excited when I come towards the tank. Just nudging you towards bettas.
(No he doesn't love me, he just sees me as food provider)

Attachments

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Acc said:
This is my boy. He gets crazy excited when I come towards the tank. Just nudging you towards bettas.
(No he doesn't love me, he just sees me as food provider)
Bettas are a fairly intelligent fish, and can learn to recognize their owners. Weather or not they feel affection is hard to tell, i think my betta i had before actually loved, or at least liked me, but it's hard to tell

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crimson_687 said:
Never owned them myself, but from what I’ve read it’s usually live, but you may be able to find one that is accustomed to other food types. Definitely do research before deciding if this is a fish for you. Live would be the best for their health and behavior. If you’re not too familiar with live foods or picky fish, I’d opt with the sparkling gourami. They’re extremely hardy, will breed, make croaking noises, have a varied diet, and they never disappoint.
Coming from someone who does own them - they are very picky about food. Out of four, there's only one that will take dry food, and only if you like wiggle it around with some tweezers.

They're not just picky with food - they're very sensitive to water parameters too.

You know the Princess and the Pea story? Yeah that's them XD

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I totally recommend shrimp! I have a colony in a 5 gallon on my desk, they’ve bred like crazy, and they are SO fun to watch!! I can’t believe how much I enjoy them! They’re always busy and once they start breeding, there’s always the game of finding new babies! I love watching berried females tend to their eggs, or try and clean their tails with their huge bellies! Ugh I love shrimp so much. 13/10 recommend

OP
Mii

Mii

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
redmare said:
I totally recommend shrimp! I have a colony in a 5 gallon on my desk, they’ve bred like crazy, and they are SO fun to watch!! I can’t believe how much I enjoy them! They’re always busy and once they start breeding, there’s always the game of finding new babies! I love watching berried females tend to their eggs, or try and clean their tails with their huge bellies! Ugh I love shrimp so much. 13/10 recommend
Would sparkling gouramis eat shrimp?

New Threads