Desk tank stocking

AJE

What would you do for a desk tank? By desk tank I mean a tank you would have on your desk at work so probably 5 gallons max. At first I thought a pea puffer would be cool but considering they'll only eat frozen or live food not so great. Here's what I was thinking:
1. Of course a betta, gotta stick with the classic
2. Triops, basically I would keep this fish with plain sand, maybe some fake decor like a castle or a pirate ship but basically keep it simple. When the first generation dies off, drain it and leave it dry for a couple weeks, refill it to let the eggs hatch and repeat.
3. Clown Killli fish. This tank will be planted with a lid, keep with shrimp that you brought from you main shrimp tank from home maybe.
What other ideas would you try or recommend?

KatLovesCoffee

I like option 3, because I think Clown Killli fish are super cool.
You could look at a scarlet badis too. They are striking little fish.
This may be up for debate, but depending on your planting situation, you could get away (I think) with sparkling gourami as well. And they are just stunning.

JettsPapa

Maybe just shrimp?

Nataku

So I like to base it around the work and the workspace a bit more.
Does your work involve a fair bit of free time you can spend staring at a tank for more than just a minute? Get a group of smaller fish (and shrimp. And maybe a snail) so that you can really take the time to focus on the intricacies of their interactions in their tiny world. Work doesn't usually give you much down time to focus on the tank? Stick with the classic betta, they will spend a fair amount of time sleeping, but are also often quick to bond with their people and so will learn to leave their favorite sleeping leaf and come interact with you whenever you have a moment. And then happily go back to wandering around their tank or sleeping.

Alternative thought? Get a m/f pair of a wild betta species and keep that in a well planted tank. Best of both worlds, you get the slightly bigger fish (still smaller than your average b. Splendens though) but the interactions to observe of a 'group' of fish.

AJE

Nataku said:
So I like to base it around the work and the workspace a bit more.
Does your work involve a fair bit of free time you can spend staring at a tank for more than just a minute? Get a group of smaller fish (and shrimp. And maybe a snail) so that you can really take the time to focus on the intricacies of their interactions in their tiny world. Work doesn't usually give you much down time to focus on the tank? Stick with the classic betta, they will spend a fair amount of time sleeping, but are also often quick to bond with their people and so will learn to leave their favorite sleeping leaf and come interact with you whenever you have a moment. And then happily go back to wandering around their tank or sleeping.

Alternative thought? Get a m/f pair of a wild betta species and keep that in a well planted tank. Best of both worlds, you get the slightly bigger fish (still smaller than your average b. Splendens though) but the interactions to observe of a 'group' of fish.
Lets say you have an accounting job and you 5-10 minutes to work on it, you can also spend part of your break on maintenance

Top Bottom