Desk lamp for heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As I have rather small betta tanks the pet shop told me to heat them with an over head desk lamp. I find it is quite effective at heating the tanks but I am worried the constant light is bothering the fish or even causing them to get sick. Help!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi again! You just answered a question I asked in your other thread.
When we turn lights off, it gives the fish a chance to sleep/rest. It similates night and day for them.
However, I would be worried about the temp dropping when you turn the light out.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I heat/lights my 10G Q tank and 5.5 gallon algae farm with desk lamps, The temp is hard to ragulate that way. I wouldn't do it long term, assuming that the tanks are small the water from the light being on/off would change the temp drastically. I'm not a betta xp, but I can't see any fish enjoying living like that.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Being consistent with temperature is crucial in a fish tank. I don't agree that a desk lamp is a good source of heat.

OP
S

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a thermometre on each tank but its is so hard watching it 24/7 and I do agree I don't think they would enjoy living with the light on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom