Design thoughts on hex hardscape? Long and nerdy

RelaxingBettas

Because the 'challenges' of nano tanks, Biorbs, breeding live food for scarlet badis, figuring out Aquabid, and crash courses in geology and chemistry weren't enough, I have a hex tank that since moving to the corner (in the process of a revamp, old substrate, with malm and Stratum like the brownie core in Ben and Jerry's but obviously I'm in a bit of a rush now), I need to scape from two vantage points- the doorway and my bed. It faces the entry, and this angle is the view from my bed.
I was going to keep it simple and use a nice piece of vertical Hoh driftwood in the middle, but went with these standing stones (locally collected near my previously identified gneiss, we'll figure out what they are another day, lol).
Those of you with an eye for aesthetics and perspective, do you feel this? It's awful trying to get them just so, I don't want to stir up the Fluval under that thin thin gravel cap, especially into the sand I'm about to hit it with (the front).
I'm thinking breeder box in back (from this perspective- the filter is on the back, from the entry) I'll grow spathiphyllum in, tall hair grass, vals, amazon sword, anacharis in back, can't decide between putting my long airstone in back again (with the plants? I don't know) or getting one of those bubbler lights for the middle? I kinda hoped to keep some open space. :/ I have a little surviving baby tears etc for the front...
Sorry this is so tl;dr , and the quality of the pic- I'll take more as the scape progresses- but better to nerd out here where someone might get what I'm doing, and have some pertinent ideas re: my ideas for redeeming a hex tank and making it WORK, in both function and aesthetics, than my poor family, even my fish loving son has limits, lol.
Thanks if you made it this far! If that seam would bother you, let me know! I mean, from some angle I'm going to be staring at it, ya know? The time to move things around is NOW
Tsutey said:
Because the 'challenges' of nano tanks, Biorbs, breeding live food for scarlet badis, figuring out Aquabid, and crash courses in geology and chemistry weren't enough, I have a hex tank that since moving to the corner (in the process of a revamp, old substrate, with malm and Stratum like the brownie core in Ben and Jerry's but obviously I'm in a bit of a rush now), I need to scape from two vantage points- the doorway and my bed. It faces the entry, and this angle is the view from my bed.
I was going to keep it simple and use a nice piece of vertical Hoh driftwood in the middle, but went with these standing stones (locally collected near my previously identified gneiss, we'll figure out what they are another day, lol).
Those of you with an eye for aesthetics and perspective, do you feel this? It's awful trying to get them just so, I don't want to stir up the Fluval under that thin thin gravel cap, especially into the sand I'm about to hit it with (the front).
I'm thinking breeder box in back (from this perspective- the filter is on the back, from the entry) I'll grow spathiphyllum in, tall hair grass, vals, amazon sword, anacharis in back, can't decide between putting my long airstone in back again (with the plants? I don't know) or getting one of those bubbler lights for the middle? I kinda hoped to keep some open space. :/ I have a little surviving baby tears etc for the front...
Sorry this is so tl;dr , and the quality of the pic- I'll take more as the scape progresses- but better to nerd out here where someone might get what I'm doing, and have some pertinent ideas re: my ideas for redeeming a hex tank and making it WORK, in both function and aesthetics, than my poor family, even my fish loving son has limits, lol.
Thanks if you made it this far! If that seam would bother you, let me know! I mean, from some angle I'm going to be staring at it, ya know? The time to move things around is NOW
ETA Oh yeah, because variables make life interesting, I'm waiting for a chunk of Galapagos spiderwood to dry so I can drill and stuff a suction cup into it and dangle from the angle left of the filter, because the whole scape wasn't complicated ENOUGH. wish me luck, I know what I want, it's the execution I sometimes have trouble with- I went to bed cursing ohko stone and silicone, and had a nightmare that I 'accidentally' cracked all three acrylic tanks at once. I had better finish wrangling this aquascape into submission today lol.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom