Design Opinion For Fluval Spc V

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to do this spray bar mod for my 5 gallon Fluval
Fluval Spec Spray Bar Mod (complete With Part Numbers)

And will be taking the opportunity to redesign my betta's tank and get his plants planted better into the substrate. My problem right now is that I have a couple righteous pieces of driftwood... that I think might be just way too big for the tank.

Tank dimensions are 17"W x 10.5"H x 6.375"D

This is my favorite piece because it's got lots of holes I can put plants into a some arches Fergus can swim through:
(Wood to the left of the tank)
44660483331_d2ed514612_n.jpg

42850135870_c57b2e9b26_n.jpg

43751460685_e1b633f16c_n.jpg

Approximate dimensions: 9"W x 9"H x 6-6.5"D (Depth-wise it'll only go in one way, as pictured in the middle pic above)

I was thinking this would go on the right side of the tank with an Anubis planted in the two holes on the right, java fern coming up from inside, crypt parva planted around the front and left sides and my amazon sword on either side behind it. The left side of the tank would be more open so Fergus could swim around more open water if he wanted. I have a couple sketches of what I was thinking but they're on my iPad at home...

This is the other piece I have which has a lot of character but not as many good planting spots and no arches:
(Wood to the left of the tank)
29722710677_edd9dfed6c_n.jpg

29722711497_29df5b907a_n.jpg

Approximate dimensions: 5.5W x 10H x 5.5D

I haven't thought about a design using this piece yet.

Are these pieces just too large?

DillonPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't put too many large pieces of wood in a 5 gal tank you don't want to take away valuable swimming space! But the first 2 pieces shown should look awesome surrounded by plants and still leave your fish enough room to swim.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t think they’re too large, I just think they’d take away from the overall capacity of the tank. My Fluval spec v only has about 4 gallons (under 4 gallons actually) of water in it with the substrate, one piece of wood, and plants.

So with all those pieces of wood and a deeper substrate, I think you’re looking at roughly 3 gallons of actual swimming space. If you’re okay with that, then go for it.

BUT I would suggest putting a larger piece of driftwood close to one end of the tank, and then a few smaller pieces to fill in some gaps. Then plant plants back where you’ve placed the driftwood. Leave the other end of the tank relatively bare, few plants there would look nice, but the idea is to make your tank look bigger than it actually is. The substrate on the end with the driftwood and plants should be deeper than the substrate on the bare end - it’ll create the illusion that your tank is longer.

I would include a picture of mine, but it’s not an accurate representation of what I’m trying to explain haha. It would have been if my snail didn’t eat $50 worth of plants in a week, and then constantly uproot the rest. So they’re haphazardly placed all around the tank and not on one end like I would like them to be.

PS. the spray bar idea is brilliant!! Post some pictures or videos of it once you’ve gotten it all sorted out

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll definitely post pics once it's all done.

You're suggestions on design (driftwood on one side, more open on the other) is what I was thinking of doing. When I get back from grabbing lunch and walking the dog I might redraw my design idea and post it to get feedback.

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is what I was thinking design-wise with the first, larger piece.

43943516634_7e0bee23d4_n.jpg

I tried to draw it to scale but I think the wood might be a little small in this sketch...

Point is, more heavily planted on the right with the wood, more open on the left.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is what I was thinking design-wise with the first, larger piece.

View attachment 478489

I tried to draw it to scale but I think the wood might be a little small in this sketch...

Point is, more heavily planted on the right with the wood, more open on the left.
Exactly what I was thinking you should do! It’ll look awesome!

The only problem I ran into was the small intake slit that’s at the bottom of the tank doesn’t allow me to make the substrate as deep as I’d like it, but with some stones placed haphazardly around the wood, it kind of compensates for the lack of depth I was trying to achieve.

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Playing with sand last night since the driftwood will be sitting in a pretty deep bed of it and it will affect how the wood will ultimately look. Here's what I've decided:

Sitting in a pretty deep and sloped bed of sand with the bottom opening also filled so it can be planted and the whole thing justified to the left side of the tank rather than the right like in my sketch.
44676008081_34b92815f6_n.jpg

An anubis will go in the double-hole on the right, some parva in the "inside" sand pit, some Java Fern tucked and tied into some divots at the front (at the bottom of the S shape in the previous image), and an amazon sword on the left side, I think.
44626853762_e4dd92a537_n.jpg

Getting an idea of what it would look like with plants - even though none of my aquarium plants have garish orange flowers.
44676007891_0e285a37ff_n.jpg

The Anubis where the flowers on the right are, the Amazon Sword where the flowers on the left are.

I also made a full scale mock up of the tank out of cardboard from my recent toilet replacement... I fear an obsession is taking hold...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom