Depressed Cories

1. Angelfishlover123124125

Angelfishlover123124125 Valued Member Member

Hi,
    I had 3 albino corydoras (i know they have to be in bigger groups) and recently one died. After it died the other two stopped swimming and keep squashing themselves between the filter and the glass.One of them also lost an eye and if they swim (which is rare now) they swim at the very top.

Tank size: 40g
    Tank mates: Angelfish
    Temperature: (cant remember but it's the right temperature for the angels)

Any ideas of what it can be?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Adding more corys and/or hiding places should help. (It also depends on the individual, because I have two, and one of them is scared of nothing except the net)

3. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Honestly being two of them only in the tank will be having a very profound affect. Losing one of their school and leaving just two in a 40g they will feel very scared, and tighter spaces make them feel secure so they are probably trying to squeeze into areas for comfort. When spooked my corydoras that are even in large schools (I breed albino c.aeneus) squish into areas when spooked.

Try to not spook around the tank, give them plenty of shady hiding spaces, and upsize the group when you can.

4. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I also agree with the above, they're normally busy little guys! They likely want friends.

I'd also be concerned about the tank temp. When I was investigating different types not many could handle the high temp of an angel tank. Sterbai is one, but I'm not sure if albinos are temp compatible with Angels. Do you keep your tank at the lower or higher end?

5. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

get plenty of hiding places and get some more fish so they feel safer

6. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

C. aeneus can be kept with angels, but the temperature is at the top of their temperature range and the bottom of the angels.

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I had my Albino Cory moved from quaratine durning the main tank cycled.
    They were the only ones in an empty 31 gallon for a week before I added the rest of the fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

The angels to try to go after them if they get in their way.

Temperature is at the lower end.

9. Samuel97

The temperature is not a problem here, its simply a social fish not feeling safe. Get some more in there and they will feel a whole lot better, angels or no angels.

10. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

I'll try get some when i find.Is there anything wrong with them swimming at the top the whole time since they're suppost to be at the bottom?

11. Samuel97

They breathe air and often pop up for a breath or 'shark fin' along the top, totally normal.

12. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

Thanks

13. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

But they shouldn't be there the whole time... that's a little odd

14. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

This morning i looked at cory with one eye and during the night he lost his other eye and it's still full of blood.So he lost both eyes now.

15. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

They are armored catfish. Should be fine with am angel. 1 thing cory cats need is well oxygenated water. Airstone will do the trick. They lay eggs in well oxygenated portions of the tank.

16. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

R
    remember to get the same type of cories

17. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

I have an airstone.

18. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

R.I.P
    One of them is just sitting on it's side om the gravel exactly like a dead fish would but it's alive.All the angels are just biting it.

19. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

True, my cory go up so fast they literally splash water all over me.
    If I'm watching, that is. It's happened many times. ;)

20. OP
    OP
    Angelfishlover123124125

One of them just passed away.R.I.P Ill do a water change soon.Maybe the last one survives.The angels are biting them.Shall i move the last one to my 20g shrimp tanl or will he eat the shrimps?