Depressed Blue Crayfish

Sweetchickie
I have had a 5" blue crayfish, Leo, for several months in a 5 gallon tank and recently upgraded him to a 55 gallon tank (already cycled/ good water parameters) with a huge pirate ship and lots of room to roam/explore. My issue is that while he was in the 5 gallon, while cramped, he was very happy, climbing over his lego treehouse and being very active. Leo would watch me when I fed him and would follow my finger to the food and get it. The 5 gallon was on the kitchen counter and he could see the house activity all the time and would move around the tank to watch us. He had such an awesome personality.
Now in the 55 gallon in the living room against a wall, he hides behind the pirate ship and hardly ever moves. He's lost a lot of coloring and rarely eats. He seems really stressed. If it had been only a few days, I could understand the stress, but it's been 3 weeks now.
Should I move him back into the 5 gallon, or wait longer to see if he'll adjust? I don't want to wait too long and lose my little buddy.

Advertisement
libby2999
I don't think he's really depressed and more just afraid. It's a new place but 3 weeks is a long time. And the temps the same right? Are their any other tank mates? He might be scared of them, even of they don't go biting after him.

Advertisement
Sweetchickie
The temps are the same, no tank mates as of yet. I wanted to make sure he Leo was adjusted first. It's just taking a really long time. When I brought him some from the pet store, it only took about 2 days to adjust to the 5 gallon before he was really active.

B1GD4DDY
The temps are the same, no tank mates as of yet. I wanted to make sure he Leo was adjusted first. It's just taking a really long time. When I brought him some from the pet store, it only took about 2 days to adjust to the 5 gallon before he was really active.
I know it has been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I was curious if you could give us an update? I just had to move little guy to his own place, and he too seems to be taking a while to get used to it. Did your's ever come around or did you end up moving him back?

Sweetchickie
He didn't adjust. I waited another week and a half, then put him back into the 5 gallon. He was back to his old active self in a few days, climbing all over the lego treehouse I have in there and throwing rocks around. He's happy so I am too.
As for the 55 gallon, I turned it into a cichlid tank. I saw an orange crayfish mixed in with the cichlids at the pet store and brought him home too. He's a great fit in that tank. They all have different personalities.

B1GD4DDY
Thanks for the update! I moved mine about 2 weeks ago and he acts like he is mad at me for taking him away from the all-you-can-eat buffet. However, he did just molt yesterday too. Perhaps he has just been hiding for that...

Sweetchickie
If he's still mad at you in a few days when he's recovered from the molt, you can try putting in a few feeder goldfish. I treat Leo once a month to a few, and every night one goes "missing". Use the bigger feeders, I bought minnows once as the others were on quarantine, but they are far too fast and he gave up after a few days of constantly chasing them around. Oh, and after the buffet, check the water. Those goldfish put a strain on the tank, but its worth a partial water change to see him happy!

B1GD4DDY
I was thinking about getting him some feeders anyway, but he has started to come out a bit more after recovering from his molt. Thanks for the idea!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chillin
Replies
Views
CMina
Replies
Views
Over It
Replies
Views