20 Gallon Tank Depressed betta fish

Sovereign

Hey guys, I have a female betta fish that was in a sorority tank of 3. The other 2 bettas ended up passing and ever since then she's been just lying around the tank showing signs of depression. Its not depression from boredom because she was in a 15 gallon tank that was heavily planted with both real and silk plants. I then transferred her to a 20 long that has a jungle of grass, so there are enough things in both tanks to keep her interested at least for a bit. She also didn't explore anything when I added her in the 20. Which is more proof that she is mourning her friends. Now I cant just sign her up for a therapist and most of the articles online are towards bettas in smaller tanks that got bored of their situation. I was wondering if any one else has dealt with this with success. Both tanks she was in had the same parameters of 8 PH and 0 on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. I've also had another betta that had a friend die and became depressed from it though that one was a sorority of 9. After the death I introduced another female to make it odd again. Even though there were new and old girls in there she didn't get any better and passed so I don't think more bettas would fix the issue, I also don't want more. She still eats which is why I haven't euthanized cause there seems to be something I can do I just don't know what. If you guys want a picture I can, but she doesn't seem sick. Thank you guys in advance.

Ghelfaire

Maybe a schooling fish like tetras or rasboras would help. I've had a lot of success keeping female bettas in community tanks.

Lucas35

A picture would be helpful. A sorority of 3 is impossible so that's why they died. Minimum for a sorority is 4. Betta fish are solitary and a sorority is actually a highly stressful environment. I don't think she would miss the other Bettas.

Sovereign

Ghelfaire said:
Maybe a schooling fish like tetras or rasboras would help. I've had a lot of success keeping female bettas in community tanks.
I was Planning to add a school anyway so I'll try that, Thank you.

Sovereign

Lucas35 said:
A picture would be helpful. A sorority of 3 is impossible so that's why they died. Minimum for a sorority is 4. Betta fish are solitary and a sorority is actually a highly stressful environment. I don't think she would miss the other Bettas.
I was told female bettas form a hierarchy which is why they need to be kept in an odd number so that one is more dominant than the others. Adding a ton of plants and cover in an ample aquarium is enough to regulate the stress of competing for dominance and allows less dominant females to find a good place to relax.

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

Ghelfaire

Sovereign

Ghelfaire said:
What are your water parameters? She looks rough.
The PH is at 8 and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are at 0. I also can't figure out why she looks like that, I figured it was cause of the depression but i would never have thought it would affect her this much.

Demeter

Your betta is not depressed, she is ill. I'm guessing whatever killed the other 2 is effecting her.

And yes, 3 is way too little for a sorority. I've had a few sororities and by far the most calm one was in a 36gal tank with ~11 females. IMO the more the better for sororities but often times there will always be illness due to stress. Female bettas aren't a schooling species and are still considered aggressive, sorority settings are not necessarily natural for them either. I would not recommend a sorority with any less than 7 in any smaller than a 29gal tank.

Sovereign

Demeter said:
Your betta is not depressed, she is ill. I'm guessing whatever killed the other 2 is effecting her.

And yes, 3 is way too little for a sorority. I've had a few sororities and by far the most calm one was in a 36gal tank with ~11 females. IMO the more the better for sororities but often times there will always be illness due to stress. Female bettas aren't a schooling species and are still considered aggressive, sorority settings are not necessarily natural for them either. I would not recommend a sorority with any less than 7 in any smaller than a 29gal tank.
What illness Do you think she has? could it be a parasite, cause i don't see any obvious signs.

Ghelfaire

How much are you feeding her? She looks bloated. The torn fin could either have been from the other bettas nipping or fin rot. She may have a bacterial infection, her colours look faded. It's hard to tell.

Sovereign

I don't feed her a crazy amount I also noticed the bloat which is why i starved her for 4 days, I have her on normal feeding schedule now. which is starving her for once a day on the week and feeding her the other days.

Ghelfaire

Bloating can be caused by multiple things. Overfeeding is the easiest to fix. How many pellets or flakes are you feeding her?

Is she pooping? It may be constipation.
It would also cause swim bladder issues which could be excessive floating or sinking.

Were any of the other bettas bloated? I don't want to jump to dropsy as a cause right away but look up the symptoms and see if any match what she's doing now.

Sovereign

Ghelfaire said:
Bloating can be caused by multiple things. Overfeeding is the easiest to fix. How many pellets or flakes are you feeding her?

Is she pooping? It may be constipation.
It would also cause swim bladder issues which could be excessive floating or sinking.

Were any of the other bettas bloated? I don't want to jump to dropsy as a cause right away but look up the symptoms and see if any match what she's doing now.
none of the other bettas were bloated and she doesn't have dropsy. it can be constipation i'll keep a closer eye on her to see if she poops

Top Bottom