Depressed Betta and fighting the new arrival?

Lucrezia90

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi. First of all, we have a 5.5 tank with a betta in it, together with 2 logs, 2 plants, heater/filter and now a tiny aerator.
Recently, around a week ago, my betta wasn't swimming anymore, he was always at the bottom of the tank, sometimes hiding inside the log, only swimming up once in a while to breathe and then down again. He's less than an year old, got him from a pet store, and I do regular water changes weekly. So we thought he was depressed. I bought an air pump on amazon, really nice but Ducky couldn't care less. So we got him a black molly. Now he spends his time either on the bottom again, hiding/resting or chasing the molly.
I'm afraid he's stressing the molly, but I'd like to keep them both, if possible.
Also, is there a cure for depressed fish? IF he is depressed.... Instead of fixing my betta we got another problem...

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Lucrezia90 said:
Hi. First of all, we have a 5.5 tank with a betta in it, together with 2 logs, 2 plants, heater/filter and now a tiny aerator.
Recently, around a week ago, my betta wasn't swimming anymore, he was always at the bottom of the tank, sometimes hiding inside the log, only swimming up once in a while to breathe and then down again. He's less than an year old, got him from a pet store, and I do regular water changes weekly. So we thought he was depressed. I bought an air pump on amazon, really nice but Ducky couldn't care less. So we got him a black molly. Now he spends his time either on the bottom again, hiding/resting or chasing the molly.
I'm afraid he's stressing the molly, but I'd like to keep them both, if possible.
Also, is there a cure for depressed fish? IF he is depressed.... Instead of fixing my betta we got another problem...
Hmm.. Well, first off-

Sadly mollies are recommended for a 30g and up tank as they can get 5+ inches. Eventually the molly will outgrow the betta and the tank... Mollies are also social fish and are recommended to have a group of their own species. You'll need a bigger tank if you want to keep it...

Also black mollies are some of the more aggressive kind. It, if anything, will stress Ducky out and may nip his fins.

Is the tank cycled? What are your water parameters?

Filling this out will help a lot: Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

OP
Lucrezia90

Lucrezia90

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bloodfeather said:
Is the tank cycled? What are your water parameters?

Filling this out will help a lot: Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health
Sorry it took me so long. Here it is.

What is the water volume of the tank? >5.5
How long has the tank been running? >06/16/2019
Does it have a filter? >Yes
Does it have a heater? >Yes
What is the water temperature? >78.6
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
>1 betta, 1 molly (+ plants)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? >weekly
How much of the water do you change? >50% to 70%
What do you use to treat your water? >stress coat, api ammo-lock & something liquid for the plants.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? >both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? >no
What do you use to test the water? >Api freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? >daily
How much do you feed your fish? >probably more than enough, he always leave something.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? >BettaMin
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? >no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? >06/16/2019
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? >a week ago, more or less.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? >sleepy/tired, most always on the bottom and/or hiding in the log.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? >no, no idea what to do.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? >no.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? >not as happy as usual. Sluggish.
Explain your emergency situation in detail. >I do believe everything is in the post above

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Bloodfeather. You should probably look into getting a bigger tank for the mollie or rehoming it. The mollie is most likely just stressing him out more. IMO the only tank mates I think would work in a 5.5 gallon tank would be snails, shrimp, and maybe African dwarf frogs depending on your set up.
It also doesn't seem like your tank is cycled. That could be why your betta is acting like this. Is he showing any physical signs of stress like clamped fins?

Lucrezia90 said:
Feeding
How much do you feed your fish? >probably more than enough, he always leave something.
Also how many of the pellets do you feed him? I used to feed bettamin to my betta and I would say 1-2 pellets twice a day would be enough. Do you soak the pellets before feeding them to him?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettas do not get lonely (company does sometimes help but they are not lonely). I would return the molly, a molly in a 5.5 with a betta isn't gonna work long term. Is your tank heavily planted? Is it cycled? How much food did you feed him? I was going to ask temperature however that seems okay. Maybe raise the temperature to 79-80 degrees(through the heater if thats possible)?
Even if your tank is cycled, assuming the ammonia is zero or there are small traces of it, I don't really think that would be causing this.

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Lucrezia90 said:
Sorry it took me so long. Here it is.

What is the water volume of the tank? >5.5
How long has the tank been running? >06/16/2019
Does it have a filter? >Yes
Does it have a heater? >Yes
What is the water temperature? >78.6
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
>1 betta, 1 molly (+ plants)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? >weekly
How much of the water do you change? >50% to 70%
What do you use to treat your water? >stress coat, api ammo-lock & something liquid for the plants.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? >both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? >no
What do you use to test the water? >Api freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8

Feeding

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? >06/16/2019
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? >a week ago, more or less.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? >sleepy/tired, most always on the bottom and/or hiding in the log.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? >no, no idea what to do.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? >no.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? >not as happy as usual. Sluggish.
Explain your emergency situation in detail. >I do believe everything is in the post above
julifhy said:
I agree with Bloodfeather. You should probably look into getting a bigger tank for the mollie or rehoming it. The mollie is most likely just stressing him out more. IMO the only tank mates I think would work in a 5.5 gallon tank would be snails, shrimp, and maybe African dwarf frogs depending on your set up.
It also doesn't seem like your tank is cycled. That could be why your betta is acting like this. Is he showing any physical signs of stress like clamped fins?

Also how many of the pellets do you feed him? I used to feed bettamin to my betta and I would say 1-2 pellets twice a day would be enough. Do you soak the pellets before feeding them to him?
Yes... The tank is probably not cycled.

Is there any fin clamping or reddening to the gills?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its likely but how do you all know the tank is not cycled? There's a possibility it is.

@Op, if you don't mess with the filter(so, just rinse it in tank water, no replacing :)) and always dechlorinate your water(assuming you're on tap) IMO your tank is probably cycled. If you have a heavily planted tank, no leftover food, and that water change schedule, that could be why you aren't seeing nitrates on the test(or they're too low to register?).
I'm no expert though..

OP
Lucrezia90

Lucrezia90

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
julifhy said:
He was looking depressed, so I thought company would help. :(
Anyway, we got the 2nd fish back and got a gold snail instead, and we got no problem, at least with that.
No clamped fins, but I found like a weird patch of reddish (?) color on his head! That might be the problem?
I have the tiny container with 3 different type of food (pellets, flakes and dried balls), and I usually don't feed him the pelles, but when I do I soak them yes.
I wonder if that weird patch is the problem, what it is and how to fix it...

flyinGourami said:
Bettas do not get lonely (company does sometimes help but they are not lonely). I would return the molly, a molly in a 5.5 with a betta isn't gonna work long term. Is your tank heavily planted? Is it cycled? How much food did you feed him? I was going to ask temperature however that seems okay. Maybe raise the temperature to 79-80 degrees(through the heater if thats possible)?
Even if your tank is cycled, assuming the ammonia is zero or there are small traces of it, I don't really think that would be causing this.
I had no idea... We did indeed returned swapped the molly for a snail instead. Not evily, but we have a med=size plant and 6 mossa balls. I can't change the temperature with the heater that I have, maybe in the future I can buy a better one.

Bloodfeather said:
Yes... The tank is probably not cycled.
Is there any fin clamping or reddening to the gills?
There's only one reddish (?) patch on his head, his fins looks good as usual.

Screenshot_20200527-203146_Video_Player[1].jpg
Screenshot_20200527-203654_Video_Player[1].jpg

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucrezia90 said:
He was looking depressed, so I thought company would help. :(
Anyway, we got the 2nd fish back and got a gold snail instead, and we got no problem, at least with that.
No clamped fins, but I found like a weird patch of reddish (?) color on his head! That might be the problem?
I have the tiny container with 3 different type of food (pellets, flakes and dried balls), and I usually don't feed him the pelles, but when I do I soak them yes.
I wonder if that weird patch is the problem, what it is and how to fix it...
IMO it looks like if he scraped some scales off. Make sure to do frequent water changes to help it heal and not get infected. I would do 50% water changes and use Seachem prime as your water conditioner.
Also what are the dried balls you are talking about (the brand name would help)? If you don’t feed pellets, then which type of food do you feed him?

New Threads