Depersonalization- My Journey.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Okay, so some of you may not know what Depersonalization is. I will be calling it"DP" for short. It is basically like you are living and breathing 100% normal physically, but at the mental level you are always thinking and you don't even realize what you are doing. You are basically living a dream.

I'm writing this because I feel like it will help me with focusing and to help spread awareness. So, On with the journal.

Today, I was messing with my freshwater tanks and started thinking too much about other stuff and wasn't paying attention at all and stuck my hand in the saltwater tank without washing my hands. I went and sat down and just stared at the tv for a good 15 minutes trying to collect my thoughts then realized what I had done.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Discus-Tang said:
Woah. Don't know if I could do that
I honestly don't like telling people IRL, because I feel like I will be judged because I have it. I have been texting and just basically blackout and ruin whole relationships
 

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Messages
1,223
Reaction score
733
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Aqua Hands said:
Okay, so some of you may not know what Depersonalization is. I will be calling it"DP" for short. It is basically like you are living and breathing 100% normal physically, but at the mental level you are always thinking and you don't even realize what you are doing. You are basically living a dream.

I'm writing this because I feel like it will help me with focusing and to help spread awareness. So, On with the journal.

Today, I was messing with my freshwater tanks and started thinking too much about other stuff and wasn't paying attention at all and stuck my hand in the saltwater tank without washing my hands. I went and sat down and just stared at the tv for a good 15 minutes trying to collect my thoughts then realized what I had done.
Hi Aqua Hands, I work in a mental health service & I know that DP is a form of disassociative condition & is real, it can be brought on by many things from stress to trauma, seizures & other brain issues or drug abuse & maybe other stuff we don't even know about yet. Have you sought professional medical help? If not you should, the earlier you get help with this the better your outcome could be. I wish you all the best & hopefully a speedy recovery.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
Hi Aqua Hands, I work in a mental health service & I know that DP is a form of disassociative condition & is real, it can be brought on by many things from stress to trauma, seizures & other brain issues or drug abuse & maybe other stuff we don't even know about yet. Have you sought professional medical help? If not you should, the earlier you get help with this the better your outcome could be. I wish you all the best & hopefully a speedy recovery.
I actually have not. The reason because being and I know this is gonna sound dumb but, I have time to take a break from school and I'm and family all summer.
 

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Messages
1,223
Reaction score
733
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Aqua Hands said:
I actually have not. The reason because being and I know this is gonna sound dumb but, I have time to take a break from school and I'm and family all summer.
I understand, we all prioritise our families above ourselves & maybe having some chill out time with yours could even help with your condition, but you should still get checked out, as I understand it (even though I'm by no means an expert) DP can be caused by things like brain tumours in the wrong place (if there's a right place for a tumour) so early diagnosis & intervention could make a big difference.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
I understand, we all prioritise our families above ourselves & maybe having some chill out time with yours could even help with your condition, but you should still get checked out, as I understand it (even though I'm by no means an expert) DP can be caused by things like brain tumours in the wrong place (if there's a right place for a tumour) so early diagnosis & intervention could make a big difference.
have it looked at next chance I get❤
 

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Messages
519
Reaction score
208
Points
63
Experience
More than 10 years
Aqua Hands said:
have it looked at next chance I get️
I wonder how much of my ADHD is this? Though it seems you're more than distracted, mind and body are two different places for you. For me I'll usually just forget why I went to the garage, or wander away from an incomplete task (like going to play video games, midway through a water change.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
777
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Crafty Cichlid said:
I wonder how much of my ADHD is this? Though it seems you're more than distracted, mind and body are two different places for you. For me I'll usually just forget why I went to the garage, or wander away from an incomplete task (like going to play video games, midway through a water change.
Hmmm, I've actually wondered about this!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom