Denture Tabs To Clean Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by PythonTheBetta, Apr 15, 2017.

1. PythonTheBetta

PythonTheBetta Valued Member Member

I recently lost my betta and yesterday I drained the tank. I want to repurpose it into a terrarium with some venus flytraps and such but the tank smells and is grimy. Almost a year of hard water stains and overall tank detritus have left their mark.

For the smell I figure a satchel of carbon should do the trick. As for the rest of the tank, I was thinking denture cleaning tabs. Hear me out here! I was reading a thing that said you could use denture tabs for cleaning toilet tanks, diamond rings, and to get hard water stains out of a flower vase. Flower vases and aquariums are both glass and both hold living things so it should work, right? My only concern would be what the tabs are made of. But if people use them to clean things that go into their mouth, it should be safe. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts (or alternative ideas) on this.

2. Edwinstz

Edwinstz Valued Member Member

is the old vinegar and water trick not working ?

3. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

Just because something is safe for you doesn't mean it's safe for other things. However since it's going to be plants I can't imagine it'd be harmful. You could give it a shot and if it doesn't work, it's not like you're putting fish in there.

I would try vinegar first though.

4. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

PythonTheBetta Valued Member Member

I haven't tried anything to clean it yet, but I figured the denture tab might save me some scrubbing.

I realize that logic doesn't always work (humans can safely ingest chlorine in tap water, use soap, etc) but best I can figure the tabs are just peroxide and baking soda(which are both aquarium approved I think)

But I suppose plants aren't as sensitive to this stuff anyways. If I used the denture tab first and then did a vinegar rinse would that get rid of anything potentially harmful?

5. Edwinstz

Edwinstz Valued Member Member

I think maybe it could work, but to be safe you should thoroughly rinse it after and maybe air dry

6. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

I'd imagine so. If it's just baking soda and peroxide I think it would be fine. You could also do vinegar afterwards if you want. Although I can't imagine it'd do much after that. Just wash it out thoroughly with water afterwards, wipe down with a dry cloth and let it air dry too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice