Dennis And Oscar

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
Today I got an oto!!!! HeeHee!!! His full name is Dennis Bubbles. Hes tiny!! I will take pics as soon as I can and post them!!! Oscars ok with him though he likes chasing him and tasting him HAHA!!! Miley

Advertisement
COBettaCouple
lol.. we'll look forward to the pics.. who knows? maybe they'll eventually get to be little buddies.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
I hope so!!!! Is it ok that Oscar chases him and tastes him?? Dennis is constantly moving, even at the pet store hes swimming all over/around the tank. LOL is that normal for a oto?? Miley

Advertisement
BettaBuddy ~ Miley
Here are some pics I took!!! YAY!!! Dennis Bubbles ( DB for short) is TINY!!! Miley
p.s. I throw one of Skip in there for fun!! HeeHee!!!

CLICK PICS TO MAKE THEM BIGGER.... NOT THE WRITING UNDER THEM BUT THE ACCTUAL PIC.

armadillo
I love that name, Dennis Bubble. I've told you before, but I had to say it again!

Our otos were pretty hyperactive at the beginning but they soon calmed down. Now they either rest and browse, or they dart really quickly for 2 minutes until their next station. But they don't JUST dart around anymore, they spend most of their time quite calm. Otos like to be with 3 or more (we only have 2, so we're being bad). I wonder if you'd consider adding one?

Advertisement
BettaBuddy ~ Miley
I love that name, Dennis Bubble. I've told you before, but I had to say it again!

Our otos were pretty hyperactive at the beginning but they soon calmed down. Now they either rest and browse, or they dart really quickly for 2 minutes until their next station. But they don't JUST dart around anymore, they spend most of their time quite calm. Otos like to be with 3 or more (we only have 2, so we're being bad). I wonder if you'd consider adding one?

omg its funny you say that because we are actually going and getting another today!! HeeHee!!

So he will calm down cuz Oscar is chasing him around all the time.... that WILL stop rite??? Miley

armadillo
Oh really, does he get chased? That's no good. I thought he was just naturally speedy, I didn't realize he was trying to escape the betta. If anything, the addition of a new oto will reduce the amount of stress on the one oto, but if it turns out your betta really doesn't like company, you'll have to rehouse the otos I think.

Advertisement
BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ok - well sometimes he just zips around to zip around but other times its cuz oscar is chasing him ...... with the new oto it should get oscar confused on which one to chase though so it may be ok otherwise I will put oscar in the little tank and skip in with the otos in the bigger tank. Skips not as fiesty. Miley

p.s. we only got Dennis Bubbles yesterday though... :-\

armadillo
Do you know what? I think you never can tell how things will be in the first week or so of a fish being added. Your betta may end up completely ignoring them and all would be fine. Otos are supposed to be OK with bettas, so it's not like you did something dumb. And I think you're right, adding another oto will at least dissipate the betta's attention.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ok good! oscar likes playing with EVERYTHING he has. like EVERYTHING - he plays with the filter :;rab so idk if hes just trying to pla or really being aggressive cuz he nips not bites and doesn't flair or anything but idk. I think if oscar was trying to hurt him deniis bubbles wouldnt have made it through the nite. ??? idk. Miley

Advertisement
armadillo
Yeah, I think so too. No way would an oto survive a betta's wrath.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ya!!!! HaHA!!!! Miley

sirdarksol
Otos are pretty good at defending themselves by running away. It should only take a couple of days for Oscar to realize he can't catch the speedy little thing zipping around his tank, and Dennis will get settled in and get to work cleaning the walls of the tank.

Phloxface
It's probably because you added the Oto after the Betta has already lived there a long time. He considers it his territory. It's never a good idea to do this. At the very least you should have removed the Betta and changed the decoration in his tank so he doesn't recognize that it's his tank anymore and then added the oto and after a few hours the Betta.
Hopefully it will work out anyways. I hope the Oto doesn't get lonely because they usually need others of their own kind to feel secure but your tank isn't big enough for more.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
Otos are pretty good at defending themselves by running away. It should only take a couple of days for Oscar to realize he can't catch the speedy little thing zipping around his tank, and Dennis will get settled in and get to work cleaning the walls of the tank.
ok that's good.

It's probably because you added the Oto after the Betta has already lived there a long time. He considers it his territory. It's never a good idea to do this. At the very least you should have removed the Betta and changed the decoration in his tank so he doesn't recognize that it's his tank anymore and then added the oto and after a few hours the Betta.
Hopefully it will work out anyways. I hope the Oto doesn't get lonely because they usually need others of their own kind to feel secure but your tank isn't big enough for more.

what I did was when I gt home I took oscar out and put him in his waiting cup and then got the oto use to the tank water and everything then I put him in and he went straight to the plant and stayed there for a long time then he moved to the cave and I then floated oscar in a clear plastic cup for a long time in the tank water and then let him go and watched them.

also my mom asked one of the other members on here if there is room to add another and she said it would be fine..... its not?? Miley

armadillo
In my opinion (but that's just my opinion), you do have room for another oto. Their bioload is negligible.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ok good!!! thank you.

armadillo
Well it's just my opinion, BettaBuddy, perhaps other members will advise you not to get another one. But I think that for the greater good it's better to get another one (the first one getting chased less)

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ya - I think I will be able to handle having the three in that tank cuz like skips tank is too small but his is always clean and warm cuz I change and clean it alot..... so I personally think it ould be ok.... Miley

armadillo
I agree.

COBettaCouple
You did exactly the right way to introduce DB. I think you could add another one the same way - just while you have Oscar out of the tank, rearrange things as much as you can, then put the otos in, then Oscar and see how it goes. You'll want to keep a closer eye on the water chemistry and maybe change the water a little more often but DB will appreciate the company a lot.

Phloxface

what I did was when I gt home I took oscar out and put him in his waiting cup and then got the oto use to the tank water and everything then I put him in and he went straight to the plant and stayed there for a long time then he moved to the cave and I then floated oscar in a clear plastic cup for a long time in the tank water and then let him go and watched them.

also my mom asked one of the other members on here if there is room to add another and she said it would be fine..... its not?? Miley

I was under the impression that your fish was in a 2.5 gallon. I guess a 4 gallon is okay. I'm just very conservative. I don't think I'd ever add more fish unless I had a full 10 gallon but that's me.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley
ok good!! we haven't not gotten the second one yet. we mite today... idk. I tried putting frozen(thaw) carrots in with them but DB didnt find them and OScar tried to attack them LOL. It was cute and I gave one to Skip and he just carried it around. lol. they are so funny! so I took them out.

Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

I was under the impression that your fish was in a 2.5 gallon. I guess a 4 gallon is okay. I'm just very conservative. I don't think I'd ever add more fish unless I had a full 10 gallon but that's me.

we know have 3 in it. Miley thank you for your opinion though!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
LZ Floyd
  • Question
Replies
Views
CuddlyOctopus
Replies