Denitrator additives

matsungit

What beneficial bacteria product is effective for denitrification (reducing nitrates). You know the ones used for anaerobic denitrators (like coil denitrators, DSB, seachem denitrate, or LSM not sure if aerobic) or aerobic (like bio pellets). Anyone else have any experience with this? I currently use 1L seachem denitrate in my canister, 200ml NPX bio pellets in a Phosban 150 reactor, and a 5" deep gravel bed (Jaubert method). I have several ghost shrimp, ramshorn snails, pond snails and marimo moss in the refugium. I do 30% WC weekly with DI water which I remineralize and have 20ppm nitrates or less (10ppm average). I rotate between Stability and Microbacter 7 which I have long confirmed has denitrating capabilities in freshwater if done correctly but maybe something else is better out there. My tank has been fully cycled years ago using Stability and have not seen any traces of ammonia or nitrite in a long time). PH is stable at 7.6 to 7.8 (KH depletes over time plus variance in remineralization). I know most people love Tetra Safe Start here but I tend to shy away since it doesn't mention any denitrating capability.

Aquarist

Good morning,

Hopefully you will receive some responses today.

Ken

Eienna

I was reading on their website that seachem denitrate is only effective at a gph of 5 or less. You want matrix for your canister; it's made for higher flow rates. I personally do not use additives, though I am looking at trying matrix because it supposedly supports denitrifying bacteria. I feel pwcs are the way to go in most cases.

Tetra Safe Start is a one-time jumpstarter of nitrifying bacteria. It does not appear to contain the denitrifying type, but I would personally rather have self-sustaining nitrifiers than one with denitrifiers I'd have to add all the time. You can develop the denitrifiers on appropriate media such as matrix, I think, and anyway, there's always water changes.

matsungit

Yeah I just kept the denitrate in there. I used my canister filter as a dummy canister filter in the past. I just unplugged it and used an aqua lifter to pull water from the canister into the aquarium and was only getting a few drops per second. It started denitrifying after a few months. But then I needed a canister filter again. I figure maybe in the future I'll just build a coil denitrator and put the denitrate in there. I wanted to buy Matrix which is designed for higher flows but after doing some research on their forums I found that denitrate would still work but just not as designed so I didn't bother replacing. I still have ceramic rings in the other tray for nitrification though. I also have ceramic rings in my overflow box (sort of like a minI wet/dry thing ). Thanks for your insights.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
uncclewis
Replies
Views
aylad
Replies
Views
ryang85
Replies
Views