denison/torpedo barbs

1. varunrao94

varunrao94 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hello all
    did google abt the question i wanted to ask u guys but live experiances of ppl in this site r the best :p compared to the google one so just had to ask this hope u guys dont mind :)
    firstly is there a profile here on denison barbs? if yes pls do share the link cse i couldnt find them
    secondly could u guys pls share abt how was ur experiance keeping this fish and takmates and stuff ...just got the fish a few days back so want to know much more abt them :;hurryb :;thx
    edit: current things i think i know abt them
    --> very active swimmers ,they swim all over the tank
    ----> some hungry fish they hog a lot,they atk the food instead of just eating them

2. Thai Aquarium owner

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hello,
    Firstly there is no profile here about the Denison Barb AKA Torpedo Barb, Miss Kerela ( Indian name ).
    I have a school of 9 fish in my 5 foot long tank, and they are along with 3 Boesemani Rainbow Fish.
    The Denison Barb, is a schooling fish, and should be kept with a minimum 6 members to the school.
    They should be housed in a large tank ( min 4 ft long ) as they are a very active swimming species
    My fish are happy to be with the rainbows, and there is no aggression shown from either species toward the other.
    If you " Google " Denisons Barb you will be directed to a host of websites that will give you all kinds of info on these fish.
    May I ask you a question ?
    Are the fish you have been tank bred in India ?, as they are a native fish from Kerela State in India

3. OP
    OP
    varunrao94

varunrao94 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thnx for the info
    yes they r tank bred so i got it for a pretty cheap price :)
    4$ a pair

4. Thai Aquarium owner

Ratings:
    +45
    That is a good price you paid for your fish.
    Please now look after them, and take good care of these beauties, and as I posted before use " Google " to find out as much information as you can about caring for them.
    Good Luck

5. OP
    OP
    varunrao94

varunrao94 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thank you will do my best to take care of the them
    though i dont think i can get 4 more of them in my 40 gallon tank will see what i can do :)

6. Thai Aquarium owner

Ratings:
    +45
    If you research these fish, you will see they have the potential to reach a length of 150 mm ( 6") and to try to get another 4 into the tank may be an issue,
    I would try to get another 2 to start, and closely monitor the tank readings and everything else, as you do not want to overstock your tank.
    Seeing these fish as a school is a truely wonderful thing to see, and I would like you to witness that.
    Just something for you to think about

7. OP
    OP
    varunrao94

varunrao94 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    planning to start with 2 ,but also scared that they lll gang up on my angels :;smack
    but lets hope for the best ,thnx a lot for the suggestion :;hf