denison/torpedo barbs

1. varunrao94 Member Member

hello all
    did google abt the question i wanted to ask u guys but live experiances of ppl in this site r the best :p compared to the google one so just had to ask this hope u guys dont mind :)
    firstly is there a profile here on denison barbs? if yes pls do share the link cse i couldnt find them
    secondly could u guys pls share abt how was ur experiance keeping this fish and takmates and stuff ...just got the fish a few days back so want to know much more abt them :;hurryb :;thx
    edit: current things i think i know abt them
    --> very active swimmers ,they swim all over the tank
    ----> some hungry fish they hog a lot,they atk the food instead of just eating them

2. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    Firstly there is no profile here about the Denison Barb AKA Torpedo Barb, Miss Kerela ( Indian name ).
    I have a school of 9 fish in my 5 foot long tank, and they are along with 3 Boesemani Rainbow Fish.
    The Denison Barb, is a schooling fish, and should be kept with a minimum 6 members to the school.
    They should be housed in a large tank ( min 4 ft long ) as they are a very active swimming species
    My fish are happy to be with the rainbows, and there is no aggression shown from either species toward the other.
    If you " Google " Denisons Barb you will be directed to a host of websites that will give you all kinds of info on these fish.
    May I ask you a question ?
    Are the fish you have been tank bred in India ?, as they are a native fish from Kerela State in India

3. varunrao94 Member Member

thnx for the info
    yes they r tank bred so i got it for a pretty cheap price :)
    4$ a pair

4. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

That is a good price you paid for your fish.
    Please now look after them, and take good care of these beauties, and as I posted before use " Google " to find out as much information as you can about caring for them.
    Good Luck

5. varunrao94 Member Member

thank you will do my best to take care of the them
    though i dont think i can get 4 more of them in my 40 gallon tank will see what i can do :)

6. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

If you research these fish, you will see they have the potential to reach a length of 150 mm ( 6") and to try to get another 4 into the tank may be an issue,
    I would try to get another 2 to start, and closely monitor the tank readings and everything else, as you do not want to overstock your tank.
    Seeing these fish as a school is a truely wonderful thing to see, and I would like you to witness that.
    Just something for you to think about

7. varunrao94 Member Member

planning to start with 2 ,but also scared that they lll gang up on my angels :;smack
    but lets hope for the best ,thnx a lot for the suggestion :;hf