Denison/torpedo barbs

varunrao94

hello all
did google abt the question I wanted to ask u guys but live experiances of ppl in this site r the best compared to the google one so just had to ask this hope u guys don't mind
firstly is there a profile here on denison barbs? if yes pls do share the link cse I couldnt find them
secondly could u guys pls share abt how was ur experience keeping this fish and takmates and stuff ...just got the fish a few days back so want to know much more abt them :;hurryb x
edit: current things I think I know abt them
--> very active swimmers ,they swim all over the tank
----> some hungry fish they hog a lot,they atk the food instead of just eating them

Thai Aquarium owner

Hello,
Firstly there is no profile here about the Denison Barb AKA Torpedo Barb, Miss Kerela ( Indian name ).
I have a school of 9 fish in my 5 foot long tank, and they are along with 3 BoesemanI Rainbow Fish.
The Denison Barb, is a schooling fish, and should be kept with a minimum 6 members to the school.
They should be housed in a large tank ( min 4 ft long ) as they are a very active swimming species
My fish are happy to be with the rainbows, and there is no aggression shown from either species toward the other.
If you " Google " Denisons Barb you will be directed to a host of websites that will give you all kinds of info on these fish.
May I ask you a question ?
Are the fish you have been tank bred in India ?, as they are a native fish from Kerela State in India

varunrao94

thnx for the info
yes they r tank bred so I got it for a pretty cheap price
4$ a pair

Thai Aquarium owner

That is a good price you paid for your fish.
Please now look after them, and take good care of these beauties, and as I posted before use " Google " to find out as much information as you can about caring for them.
Good Luck

varunrao94

thank you will do my best to take care of the them
though I don't think I can get 4 more of them in my 40 gallon tank will see what I can do

Thai Aquarium owner

If you research these fish, you will see they have the potential to reach a length of 150 mm ( 6") and to try to get another 4 into the tank may be an issue,
I would try to get another 2 to start, and closely monitor the tank readings and everything else, as you do not want to overstock your tank.
Seeing these fish as a school is a truely wonderful thing to see, and I would like you to witness that.
Just something for you to think about

varunrao94

planning to start with 2 ,but also scared that they lll gang up on my angels
but lets hope for the best ,thnx a lot for the suggestion

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thai Aquarium owner
  • Shadowbeam
  • Barbs
Replies
Views