Denison Barbs in a 55 gallon???

Alexkoch

Hello all,
The question here is pretty simple: I am setting up a 55 gallon tank; can I keep some Denison Barbs? I have heard mixed thoughts on this topic, but after seeing a tank full of healthy adults in my LFS, I would really love to give it a try if possible.
Thanks

KingOscar

I would (5-6), but without any other fish except for maybe a single bottom dweller of some sort. What's the worst that could happen? Once they grow up you decide they need a larger tank! :D Cool fish.

MacZ

I think 150cm length for the tank are the minimum for these fish.

but without any other fish except for maybe a single bottom dweller of some sort.
Good call for any tank below 200cm.

A201

Current on line information suggests that Denison Barbs max out at six inches, I've never had one reach over 4.5 inches.
Although a 55 gal. would be a little cramped for an adult group of six Denisons, IMO it's doable.
My Denisons do well with Tiger Barbs & YoYo Loaches.

Alexkoch

Thank you all for the replies, my IDEAL stocking plan for the tank would be an Electric Blue Acara plus as many denisons as I can fit lol. But I'm ok with just denisons, or even some cories or something on the bottom as suggested would be sweet too.

Huckleberry77

I would (5-6), but without any other fish except for maybe a single bottom dweller of some sort. What's the worst that could happen? Once they grow up you decide they need a larger tank! :D Cool fish.
My denisons actually tend to stay toward the bottom and clean the substrate very well. They might starve out a bottom dweller such as cories (mine did). Maybe a surface fish such as a larger gourami would work.

As long as you have a 4 foot tank they should be happy. The height is less relevant. Mine enjoy swimming through and around my forest of crypts and large pieces of driftwood.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • AngelsAbove
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
AquaticJ