Denison barb, amano shrimp

• Thread starter TacoLoco7
  • Start date

TacoLoco7

I have a question. I am planning to stock my tank with tons of plants. I was looking for a clean up crew and thought these fish would be best: siamese algea eater, otocinclus catfish, hilstream loach, and amano shrimp. I currently have 1 denison barb (I know they should be kept in school, I got him or her around 4 or 5 years ago because fish were 50% off at petco, I have learned a lot over the years), 3 black skirt tetras, and 2 small siamese algea eaters. I have a 55 gallon and maybe in a few months I will get some discus. My denison is a little over 5 inches and I was curious if the denison will eat the amano shrimp, or if the discus may eat them in the future when they are full grown adult (planning to get them around 2 inches). If they are compatible, how or will I have to qt the shrimp. I have been in the hobby for almost a decade and I have never kept shrimp. Can someone tell me what I should do to quarantine the shrimp? Thx for the help

fishnovice33

Shrimp will be fine, as long as they’re grown. But they like cooler temps so it’s not ideal. Discus like water parameters that are ideal for shrimps but like it warmer than shrimp, but it’s possible. And obviously you’d need a substrate.

But tetras really should be in groups of 6, and discus (unless paired) really need to be in a group of 6 or more. They’re very picky from my experience. I stopped keeping them a while ago.

Anyways in that case you’d be overstocked. 6 discus alone is pushing a 55, I’d look into more tetras and upgrading to a 75 tank for everything to be ideal...other than the shrimp having to deal with warm water. The tetras may or may not deal with the high temps. Water temperature is going to probably be an issue keeping everyone happy.

As far as a qt tank something small with a sponge filter will work until the shrimp are ready.

TacoLoco7

The tetras are really old as well (around 6 or 7 years). I use to have 11 of them when I first got them, but over the years they have slowly been declining in numbers. I wouldnt mind having to do extra water changes to keep the discus happy if it's a bit overstocked, I'm planning to get them most likely on December.

I forgot to mention about temperature. I'm planning to get the discus at small size and growing them (2.5 "). At that size, I will keep them in a warm temp (85), but as they get older, I'm planning to lower the temperature, maybe to around 81/80 degrees.

Top Bottom