Dempsey stocking (or other fish).

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by Hendrix Fish, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hendrix FishValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a new tank, I know I'm getting one I just don't know the size. Anyways would a Jack Dempsey be okay in a 46 gallon? If not what's the minimum size for one? Also give me recommendations for large cichlids that would work out in a 46 gallon, preferably South American.
    Tank :;fr you, (Eh, see how I did that? Huh, Huh?)

O0

2. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

JD's need atleast a 55 gallon for one of them and much more for couples. You could probably get a convict pair or a few Firemouth Cichlids.

3. Hendrix FishValued MemberMember

Aight, thanks.

4. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

No problem.

5. Rattliffc12Valued MemberMember

Take my word from experience that a single dempsey will not work in a 45. I tried thinking it would work and it was just too small. My guy is 9 inches and he is quite comfy in a marineland 60 gallon. He also has a buddy jd and they get along fine in that size. The nice thing about the marineland 60 is that it is a great bargain, 200 for stand tank and hood from petsmart (you cant beat that for the size). If money is an issue your better off waiting and getting the 60 rather than the 45 and then have to get something bigger. Good luck and keep us posted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice