Dempsey 55g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Syntax Creations, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Syntax Creations

Syntax CreationsNew MemberMember

I have a single JD with 3x Blue Botia (Yasuhikotakia modesta) a BN Pleco and an Albinus Rubber Pleco (apparently aka Bulldog Pleco).

As for filtration it's run to a 30g wet/dry refugium (sponges, bio-balls, and column feeding and floating plants) with a 900 gph return.

My question is would it be possible to get away with a Snakeskin or Blue Gourami and/or a school of 8-12 Tiger Barbs.

Also, is this a male or female? I tried getting a good shot of the cheeks and fins, but couldn't really get the little one to cooperate too well..

IMG_20180623_074437.jpgIMG_20180623_074439.jpgIMG_20180623_075052.jpgIMG_20180623_075325.jpg

2. finnipper59

finnipper59Well Known MemberMember

With the filtration you have, the tiger barbs and Gourami wouldn't be a problem, I just wouldn't go any further because of swimming room and territory issues. Your JD looks lia female to me due to subdued coloration and thick abdominal area.

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I wouldn't do a snakeskin gourami, they get 11 inches, too big for this size tank. A blue gourami should be fine. Though the JD may turn aggressive and kill the other fish at some point. For them in a community I'd do a bigger tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Syntax Creations

@finnipper59: Thank you. The system was a frag/grow out tank, when my brother decided to tear his reef down and do a FOWLR a year or so ago. I decided to try my hand at something other than SW or planted tanks and this seemed like a good opportunity. I've never worked that much with aggressive species, let alone Cichlids so this was a 2 for 1.

@Anders247: Thanks, I wasn't aware they hit that big everything I read was 7-9 in captivity.

Females are often smaller than male correct?
    Also, from my experience with SW, it's common practice to toss copepods and/or other small creatures that would normally be eaten in the main tank into the refugium. Can I do the same with this one, such as snails and shrimp to help keep the refugium cleaner? Any other suggestions are appreciated.
    Lastly, is Lava Rock as beneficial in FW sumps/refugiums at harboring and cultivating denitrifying bacteria? Also any other suggestions are appreciated.

5. Anders247

I believe lava rock is a good surface for growing BB in FW, yes. And yeah, shrimp and snails in the refugium is a good idea. Ghost shrimp, amanos, whatever you would want in there.

Are you asking if this specific species females are smaller, or are you thinking that because it's true in general?

To be honest, it looks as though you would be fine keeping a snakeskin gourami in a 55g. 12 inches seems to be a rare size for them, that would be a massive one. I mean some grow larger than others. Apparently the common size is between 6 and 8 inches. I have kept one before, just not for a very long time.

6. OP
    OP
    Syntax Creations

Thanks for the response (and the welcome earlier, I tried editing and failed to figure out how to, or overlooked the button...) JD's specifically, males are generally a little larger correct?
    And basically my experience & knowledge gained from SW is transferrable to FW (at least with the refugium), good to know.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  7. Anders247

I'm not really sure to be honest if males are larger than females. @chromedome52 may be able to help.

8. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I think it looks like a male. Females usually have more blue/teal spots that go past the cheek and under the chin, like a beard...only on a girl.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The female Dempseys do tend to stay smaller than the males, usually by an inch or two. The fish in the photos is a juvenile, and has not really decided what sex it wants to be just yet. Check back in 3-4 months.

10. finnipper59

Lava rock does have tons of pores for nitrifying bacteria, I use it in my pond filter. But those pores also get clogged with detritus that is hard to clean, so I put a layer of poly floss over the top of it. I can change the floss when it gets really dirty and still have nitrifying bacteria in my clean lava rock.

11. OP
    OP
    Syntax Creations

Thanks for the responses.
    @chromedome52: Will do

@finnipper59: As it sits now, there is a piece of acrylic to hold the bio-balls basket and a sponge under that acting as the poly-fil. I plan on redoing it a bit, as I see where somethings can be tweaked to improve filtration. As well as adding some baffles and another sponge to keep the snails and shrimp away from the pump, right now most of my frogbit is swirling around the intake of said pump. When I do, I will see if I can rework it where poly-fil can also be implemented. Right now, it's running down into a piece of PVC with several holes drilled on the top and it's laying on top of the balls spraying upwards to another piece of acrylic and falling back down on to the balls. When my brother initially did the sump for the frag tank, he set it up on a whim and planned on coming back to it, but never did. While it does the trick I personally feel it can do better with a few small tweaks.

12. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

cichlids and gouramis in general don't mix well. Two different parts of the world. Different temperaments. In a 55g, it would be risky business to try that combo

13. OP
    OP
    Syntax Creations

Everything I've read and researched points that the temp ranges differ by 1 on each end. 72-84-ish avg farenheight. Which in my case I feel would work as my tank stays ~78/80 due to the Botia (also Asian like the Gourami) preferring it a little on the warmer side of things.

14. finnipper59

Actually polyfil is one of my favorite media for filtration. It's got just as much surface area as sponges, it still catches, debris while letting the water flow through better and when it gets too dirty, it can be squished in a container of tank water or clear water with dechlorinator added to clean it out and still keep most of your nitrifying bacteria stuck to it when you replace it.

15. Mike1995

i said temperaments. Not temperature... Temperaments is like behavior, how aggresive they are etc. Lol

16. OP
    OP
    Syntax Creations

Heh, sorry I have a bad habit of mentally shortening things and quickly glancing. Point taken and will be added to list of considerations. :)

17. Anders247

I disagree with that. I've found cichlids and gouramis to be fine tankmates. It just depends on what the combination is, obviously not every cichlid would work with every gourami....

18. Mike1995

so you would have a jack with a gourami?
    i mean yeah, rams, acaras, maybe angels, and some other cichlids that aren't ungodly aggressive can be housed with gourami but a jack Dempsey? Really?

19. Anders247

Honestly, yes. Maybe not in a 55g, but in a larger tank, I can see it being fine. Especially with a larger species of gourami like a snakeskin or three spot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice